Author Topic: NEW MEMBER COMING SOON...  (Read 29394 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
NEW MEMBER COMING SOON...
« on: December 19, 2012, 06:49:00 pm »

He's awaiting to be cleared by the administrator.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/IMG_1093.jpg
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Walrus

• View Profile
Re: NEW MEMBER COMING SOON...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 05:04:10 pm »
Hello Everyone
I'm new to the B(R) 12 world. My name is Jon, I'm in Maine and just became the proud owner of the R-12 pictured. It came from New Brunswick. It was owned by an old woodsman up there. My Mother in law lived near him and they became friends. She helped take care of him in his declining years(his family wasn't around). He wanted to give her something for all the help and the R12 was what he gave her. She rode in it 6 or 7 years ago but its been sitting ever since.
We had some trouble getting it down here as I'm 300 miles from where it was but we finally found a guy to trailer it down. Now its sitting outside my shop in Maine. Its fairly whole but its been hacked by a guy who had little money and little access to parts living in Rural New Brunswick. I'm missing the generator and it looks like the crank pulley is bent. It does turn over but starter motor turns over all the time the key is on. It will engage when pedal is pushed and motor spins. I'm going to convert it to 12v and I hope I have the right Pertronix kit to eliminate points and condenser. I've used Pertronix in other antique motor vehicles and I like it.
 Radiator has been hit by fan, can't tell if it leaks or not.  Gas Tank smells awful, full of varnish, fuel pump is gone, replace by electric, I want to go back to mechanical pump. Need to find part #.?

All 8 idler tires are rough, they hold air but severely weather checked. The front cogs are covered by rubber that is bolted on, the rubber needs to be replaced. Need to find out where I can get that. I think the track is ok?

Lots of work ahead. Not planning on a full restoration but want to get it running. I'll have lots of questions as time goes on. I hope I can generate some traffic on here. B12 are unique vehicles, most folks around here have never seen or heard of one.

Thanks  Jon

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 11:15:56 am »
Jon,

Where abouts in Maine are you.

Oldsledz

Offline Walrus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 03:15:01 pm »
Bucksport, I hear you are in Maine also.

Offline Walrus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 10:13:09 am »
Got a Reply from Prinoth, there salesman wants to buy my R12 :D. They have the tires for the track but don't know costs yet. Next week I'm going to order up a carb kit, 12v 1 wire alternator, just ordered a 5/8 pulley for said alternator. Need plugs and wires also. Fuel pump also. My buddy owns a NAPA so I'm pretty sure all the stuff is available within  few days

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 11:38:48 am »

Walrus if you look around those tires vary alot in price. Down here they sell for $243.00 each. If you look around the site you'll see some sell for as low as $110.00.
   I think Shavers sell them too. They also have a lot of new parts manufactured.     

OT.

Offline Walrus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 05:00:51 pm »

Walrus if you look around those tires vary alot in price. Down here they sell for $243.00 each. If you look around the site you'll see some sell for as low as $110.00.
   I think Shavers sell them too. They also have a lot of new parts manufactured.     

OT.
Pinoth prices is 275 for tire and tube, times 8 that's alot of money. Hopefully I can do better than that. I figured 200 but 275 is outraegous

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 05:53:21 pm »

If your only planning to run around on a groomed trail or farmers field, you could get a tire like you see on Oldsledz's B7. I believe he got them at Coker tire.

OT.

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 05:36:05 am »
Coker Tire has 4.75-16  (just 1/4" wider than the 4.50)   for 151.00 ea.   I think you can get the tube at NAPA.  The 1/4" wider width will work fine.

Offline CLYDE2GUIDE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 01:02:45 pm »
New tires and wheels are now available from Alpine Guide tire Co.  alpineguidetire.com

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 02:31:32 pm »
   Clyde2guide, they are aluminum rims. They look like Snowtrac & Thiokol rims with all those ribs. The bombardier rims are steel. I see your tires are $163.50 & the rim is $499.00. I'm curious as to how they will stand up on a bomber...

The Old Trucker
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 02:41:44 pm by the old trucker »

Offline CLYDE2GUIDE

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 06:39:07 pm »
The wheels  are built as a stronger wheel than the steel.  They are built stronger to work on the J-5 and Muskegs as well as the coaches.  The wheels are 356 aluminum heat treated to T-6 which is the strongest aluminum made.  The wheels were shown to Shaver this past week and he said they far exceed what he had expected.  They are rated stronger than the steel wheel.  The tires are ribbed to better dissipate heat and are stronger than previous known brands

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 07:50:33 pm »

Do you have much demand for these rims for use on bombers ?? Do you have a pic of the tire pattern & what size & ply are they ??

OT..

Offline Walrus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 07:20:10 am »
What are the right plugs for a 251 anyway. I see someone on here says champion J-8? I this correct.?

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 07:41:58 am »
J-8 will work and I think there is an rj12y.  the 12 is a hotter plug.     The part number for the fuel pump is Napa  M847.

Good luck!!