Author Topic: Swamp Dog and Cletus are down  (Read 10299 times)

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
Swamp Dog and Cletus are down
« on: January 04, 2011, 10:25:54 pm »
Just went out to start our 1952 Narrow Bombardier and noticed there was a ticking noise in the Ford 300 engine that did not sound good. We thought it may have a lifter or a valve problem after sitting over the summer period. We noticed the noise seemed to go away so we ran it about a kilometer but noticed the power was poor.

After getting back to the shop we pulled the valve cover to inspect the valve train while running. The valves and rockers seemed fine so we pulled the plugs and noticed no. 1 cylinder had loose metal in it and the piston has been hammered up. The engine has only 100 plus hours since overhaul but has seen some heavy pulling in that time.
We will pull it and give it what is required as soon as possible.

While getting some advise from Bluetoque ,he mentioned that the Ford 300 is noted for failing the No 1 cylinder due to cooling issues from the water jacked design.
Any comments on this problem will be appreciated.

Paul-Ray

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: Swamp Dog and Cletus are down
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:02:09 am »

Dawg I'm sorry to hear about the motor. I guess it has put all the Ford guys on alert mode, myself included... Of course mine hasn't hauled a heavy load yet....untill I get into it...... :D ;D

OT.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 08:08:56 am »
Bad news. Just a long shot and I'm no 300 Ford man but I read that Ford dealt with the piston heat by directing an oil stream at the piston base from the top rod bearing. Have come across a couple instances where oil galleries weren't redrilled on rebuild so this may be something to look at on disassembly. Had a cooked end main ruined on a cat grader once at 50 hrs and I read about a Cessna 185 that flew 20 hours on the assembly grease before it seized the main. Hope it is not too serious you guys.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 10:18:22 am »
hmmm...the 300 is tough..I wonder if one of the water or oil  inlets had excess gasket glue or silicone blocking it from proper flow...have run bout six of theses engines and never no problems with no 1..
....the latter the vintage of 3oo you can find(eg)early 70's...the better the engine all around including HP.
                                                                                       kpm

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 06:06:22 pm »
...forgot to mention...check your carb adjustment....if you were pulling really heavy....and it was turned real lean....could result in no.1 coming apart...being as it is the lead piston...correct adjustment should be turn and a half out to turn and 3/4 depending on 1v or 2v carb

kpm

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 10:05:48 pm »
Hmm good info, we'll keep you updated.  Should have the engine out next week.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 05:16:09 pm »
.....question...when youse rebult your 300,did you use a straight grade oil,or multigrade the first(break in) trip??
           kpm

Offline bluetoque

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 08:36:07 pm »
 I had Hackles Engine Shop here in PA overhaul a couple of engines for me and they said no Quaker State or Penzoil for break in oil and no excesive idling. KPM is right.Use the right oil on break in.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 08:03:59 pm »
...it is safest to use a straight grade oil upon break in of a rebuilt engine...eg..sae 30.....make sure it's a warm start!!!....and drain after first 20 miles or so...i've found 0-30 synthetic to work the best for the bombardiers,after break in oil has been removed.
                           kpm

Offline shorty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 09:48:20 pm »
Hey Ray it's sounds like your getting detonation on your engine,If you haven't pulled it out yet check the timing and then try some premium gas or go to this web site and check it out it has good info about gas engines.www. Ticktuners.com

Offline shorty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 09:53:47 pm »
Just wanted to verify the spelling thats Tricktuners lol

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 10:16:28 pm »
Well its a little worse than detonation.  One piston is hammered to $hit!  Hopefully this week it gets yanked out.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 07:05:21 pm »
..i'm guessing you have a valve problem..
                                                         kpm

Offline bluetoque

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 07:26:53 pm »
Is the exhaust valve pounded to s$it as well?

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 08:41:20 pm »
Didn't bother taking the head off since we know the engine has to come out.  Shop is busy right now, still trying to get it in.