Author Topic: Ski rods  (Read 4152 times)

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
Ski rods
« on: December 17, 2010, 07:25:44 pm »
Has anyone used / done something differnt to the ski rods for better turning. like carbides?
D. Paulson

I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken

Offline kpm

• View Profile
Re: Ski rods
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 07:54:13 pm »
Dave
       hope ur healing up well...carbides have been tried...bottom line is they just don't turn great..lol..what does make a difference is if you go with longer shocks and towers and mount them behind the coil spring instead of in front,like they came from the factory.
                                                   kpm

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 08:30:19 pm »
Thanks kyle, my knee is doing pretty good.  I hope you're recovering ok too.  The shocks on mine are an aftermarket thing, and I believe that they are behind the coil spring.  I'll have a look tomorow though.  I'm in the process of putting new belts on the track.  I cut and drilled the 4 strips last weekend, and hopefully I can change the cleats over this weekend.  I drove it into town to get fuel and had a heck of a time to turn into the approch and line up with the pumps.  We have about 16" soft snow on the flat  now, it could use another 150 horse more.
D. Paulson

Offline sandybay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 09:34:05 pm »
I put carbides on one of mine and they worked great, turn on a dime on the lake, bad side was could not backup on dirt as they dug-in to much. Also cut the *&#&%$ out of my concrete floor in the work shop. :'(

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 11:11:33 pm »
Well Dave..i know u will like the new tracks,no head aches then...if u accelorate juz before u turn,kinda like pushes the weight on the ski's and helps turn...be sure to let up!!
  We have alot of snow here now,I went 4 a ride across the river today....
 You have done wonders with ur bombardier,I understand the work involved and the cost....as the saying goes they did not build ROME in a day!!.....I myself like big horses and an automatic with shift kit in the wide gauges...it makes a BIG difference....maybe that will be  this summers coming project 4 u...tweeking her up. 8)
              kpm

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 11:50:18 am »
I think your onto something.   Maybe it needs a Hemi.
D. Paulson

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 02:27:16 pm »
hmm at least a magnum!!