Author Topic: SKI WHEELS  (Read 3931 times)

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
SKI WHEELS
« on: August 26, 2010, 05:22:07 pm »
Tell me if this is a dumb idea.  A couple years ago I built ski wheels for my polaris sled similar to http://skiwheelz.com/.  There is a video on the main page that you can watch.  They do work good, but I find that they are not used much because you can get off the sled and help push the front while your moving to turn on pavement or gravel.  Obviously you can't do that with a bomber plus they don't turn very sharp either so you need as much traction as possible for steering.  The places that it may be used would be for refueling at a service station and probably for repair work etc during the summer.  I don't have any use out of mine yet to know if going for fuel is much of a problem or not.  Feedback good or bad is appreciated.
D. Paulson

I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: SKI WHEELS
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 06:18:03 pm »

What do you think of these wheels ?? I saw this pic while surfing the net one day.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/Montana.jpg

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 06:36:32 pm by the old trucker »
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 06:50:32 pm »
I think that wheel setup would take away too much of the much needed ski runners and the steering would be difficult because the wheels must slide sideways in order for the ski to turn, but it's nice to see different ideas.
D. Paulson

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 09:03:28 am »
hmm maybe you could fabricate a hydraulic wheel ski set up like airplanes have....
                                                      kpm

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 09:43:35 am »
I was thinking that because I already have the steering pump, but I was just wondering if it is worthwhile to do.  I mean, would you use it if it was on your machine. and how much would you use it.
D. Paulson