Author Topic: History Channel needs Bombardier for filming  (Read 3644 times)

Offline B_Skurka

• View Profile
    • Snowcat Forums
History Channel needs Bombardier for filming
« on: July 21, 2010, 06:30:11 am »
Hey guys, I got an interesting request out of Canada over at my general snowcat forums and thought that you folks here are better equipped to reply since this forum is dedicated to the Bombardier machines.

So here is the deal, a producer who is filming a small film, to be used on the History Channel, needs to use a Bombardier B12 or similar machine of 1950 to 1959 vintage.  He will compensate the owner modestly for the machine use.  

The unit is needed in Canada in the THUNDER BAY and/or NORTH BAY areas.  They will pay for shipping, but obviously someone who has a machine reasonably close would be their first choice. They also need an operator (the owner) to be on site to show them how to use the machine and potentially to operate it during some of the filming.  

Below is some of the correspondence I have had with them:
We are hoping to film a small movie for tv for the History Channel that dramatises the 1959 construction of the first Ice Road from Yellowknife to Echo Bay NWT by John Denison.   We are looking at Thunder Bay and North Bay as potential locations (as we don't want to travel to NWT).

Our research indicates that Denison used what he called a Bombardier 'Bug' to scout the potential route of the 'Ice Road'.  It is possible that the actual model was a B-12 (but that's conjecture on my part).

We would expect to rent the machine for two weeks of filming - likely late January 2011 - and hopefully the owner would travel with it to ensure correct operation.   We assume that we would need either a flat bed or cube van to transport the vehicle to and from its home.

This is NOT a big Hollywood movie but we would expect to pay a reasonable sum for use; owner's time; transportation; accomodation & meals; gas and oil.   The production would insure the vehicle during the rental period.

Sam Jephcott
Toronto

Scott's email = cyclopscorp @ sympatico.ca  (copy & paste the email, but remove the spacing on either side of the "@" to make the email link work properly)

Again, as you folks are far more equipped to deal with this request I'm throwing it over to you.  

Hopefully someone here has a machine that will be the next star of the History Channel  :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 05:22:17 pm by B_Skurka »
If you like obsolete tracked vehicles visit my site were the old vehicles still live!  http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/forumdisplay.php?f=65

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
Re: History Channel needs Bombardier for filming
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 09:15:37 am »
That would be a neat experience.  I hope somebody steps up and goes for it!

Offline 48bomber

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 08:28:05 am »
Good day to all,
  I have replyed to the add , and hope to hear from the producer the first of the week. I sent some pics for review. I will keep you informed.
   48 bomber

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 03:30:11 pm »

The Old Trucker is glad to see someone from this group step up & try. If my memory serves me right it should be about 240 - 250 miles from North Bay to Havelock. Just a little spin for ya !!  ;D I hope you get it. It'll be a feather in our hat !!   

A Mighty Proud Ol' Trucker  8)
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.