Author Topic: Reskinning Doors  (Read 5421 times)

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
Reskinning Doors
« on: May 26, 2010, 09:31:01 pm »
Cranman, when you've reskinned the doors with 24ga, are you simply welding a new skin on or are you folding the skin over the angle iron frame.  How hard is it to keep the door frame shape if you are folding the sheet over the angle's edge.  How hard is it to fold the radiused corners.
D. Paulson

I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
Re: Reskinning Doors
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 06:38:17 pm »
You have to cut the piece a bit larger than the frame and just form and pound the metal over. At the corners you have to cut even closer in a kind of semicircle. If you can get a look at a factory door you'll see how much to leave. You need a big sturdy flat table to work on and when Cam did mine I held one side up a bit so the area he was forming was flat on the table. He mostly used a big ball pean hammer held close to the head to do the pounding. Since the doors aren't flat you  have to keep the metal flat on the table. It really goes on well. You have to adjust the door frame angle iron to fit perfectly before you start. I haven't had any experience replacing the inner metal of the doors. When we were done reskinning Cam lined the inner door with the birch plywood right through, then did the framing with 7/8 Maple for the part below the window. The frame below the window was champhered out so the plywood part was even with the metal and quite pleasing to the eye. If you have to do your rad door, do it first to get the hang of it.

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 12:49:40 pm »
That may be my job for next weekend. I can only get 18ga sheet, but I have a brake so I can at least get the flanges bent to a 90 deg.  I'll try the rad door first, to see how difficult it may be.
D. Paulson

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 07:45:14 am »
That may be my job for next weekend. I can only get 18ga sheet, but I have a brake so I can at least get the flanges bent to a 90 deg.  I'll try the rad door first, to see how difficult it may be.

Dpaulson did you have a go at reskinning the doors yet. I know your taking pics of all this. I'm interested to see how it is done.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 08:04:44 am »
No, not yet.  I got a bit sidetracked. I have been concentrating on more of the interior stuff. I have the driveshaft apart to install a brake rotor and caliper.  The alternator had been put on the passenger side of the motor, so I need to relocate that to the other side so the power steering pump can be installed in its place.  This weekend I hope to have the steering cylinders in place and the steering hand pump installed.
D. Paulson

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 08:38:32 am »

Geez.... sounds like your a busy man. Hope your taking pics of all this. I think we should have started this topic in the "body" section. 
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.