Author Topic: ORIN'S 50 REBUILD !!!!  (Read 28454 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
ORIN'S 50 REBUILD !!!!
« on: October 20, 2009, 05:57:04 am »
  Hello Orin & welcome to the group. I understand you are doing a "woody" rebuild. I'm sure you'll find this site very interesting. So how far along are you in your rebuild ?? Do you have any pictures for us to see & admire ??  It seems like the Woodys are starting to make a comeback !!!!   LOOKING GOOD !!!  

A nosey Old Trucker.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 02:35:10 am by the old trucker »
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline orin

• View Profile
Re: ANOTHER " WOODY " REBUILD ON THE GO ??
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 08:04:28 pm »
Well I spent the better part of the day tracing out the two top 1x8s, what a day! Its been rebuilt before and 1x6s were used instead of 1x8s so there was a lot of head scratching. ??? Still tearing it down, slowly, trying to keep the patterns. Had it for 17 years now but never used it the last 2. Have a set of complete tracks and 8 shiny brass bushings ordered up, so it go for a few more years when i'm finished. ;)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
ORIN'S 50 REBUILD !!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 02:00:43 am »
   Looks like you got a lot more to start with than what I have. I'm pretty well at a stand still with mine. I'm just waiting for a couple of things to fall in place, I hope.
   Orin in the third pic from the bottom, I see the exhaust coming out from the rear & it looks like a 300/6 engine in her. How much room did you have for the muffler ?? Would you be able to get a couple of pics & measurements of the location of your engine mounts before the weather sets in too much. I have no body parts or frame pieces that I can use for clearance references, like the firewall or the rad. I would be greatly appreciate it. I hope you folks don't my changing the post heading. I hope this works.
   I wish you the best in your rebuild, & looking forward to updates in the future !!

OT.  
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 02:38:22 am by the old trucker »

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
Re: ORIN'S 50 REBUILD !!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 11:41:14 am »
Orin, you better watch what you post, The Old Trucker doesn't miss a thing in these photos (You do know that he used to work for CSI Newfoundland, right?). Don't be surprised if he spots some loose change in the grass in your yard. lol
Just teasing there OT, I know you are only trying to keep us on our toes.

Offline orin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 08:12:29 pm »
Well I hope he's kind enough to point it out to me!   ;D

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 04:09:42 am »

Orin as you can plainly see Grfishmaker is suffering from lack of oxygen to his brain !!! Watch out fisherman or I'll tell everyone how I conned you in, hook, line & sinker about a month ago!!! That will show how smart you really are. Ha Ha Ha.

OT.

Offline orin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 09:48:06 am »
O.T.
no muffler, just a piece of flex pipe curled around and coming out the back. I measured the rad for you and its 20"s wide, 25.5"s high and 3"s thick. Also took a pic of the way the vacuum hose is pointing on the distributor. For my motor mounts I used 2, 3" wide channel irons that are 57"s long. I made the motor mount part of it myself and the tranny part I just used the cross member that was in the van I took the motor and trans out of. I mounted the motor and trans on the channels out side, slid the whole thing in, lined it up where I wanted it and bolted it down. http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae141/orinleecarlson/009.jpg

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae141/orinleecarlson/007.jpg

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae141/orinleecarlson/008.jpg
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:50:49 am by orin »

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 12:09:47 pm »
  Thanks Orin !! The distributor position is what I'm going to try & do with mine. A fellow member RETMECH from down here told me how to do it so I can keep the electronic ignition & stay away from points. Orin, think there is enough room to put a small muffler between the engine & belly pan ?? Your setup looks along the same lines that Swamp Dawg used on his. I thought a short oil filter would fit. Looks like you have enough room to install it.
  I measured the width between the outsides of my motor mounts & it comes to 22 1/2" It looks like I may have a tight fit around the starter area. Ohh well.... must grab the camera & head back to my shed again. I cleaned up my manifold westerday & now I'm cleaning the engine with a wire brush mounted to my drill. I'll take a couple of pics & put them on tonight.

OT's having a productive day & loving it!!   8) :D ;D :) ::) :P
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 02:19:26 pm by the old trucker »

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 09:00:07 pm »
Orin, just curious as to how you have your shifter set up. Do you have a floor shifter or use the old shifter on the steering? If it's on the steering colunm, is it backwards (down for park, up for reverse, etc..) or is there some sort of linkage setup to make it like a normal vehicle?

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 01:07:09 am »
I've used the old shift linkage on chev powerglide autos. The direction is no problem if you put a bell crank back near the tranny. The bell crank can have holes about an inch apart that allows you to adjust the distance of travel to complete the shift. BUT it is nice to make a detent at the shift lever for more positive gear selection and prevent the shifter being hit inadvertenly into reverse or park. Sask power machines used a motorhome shifter on the dash and a cable set up to the 727 trans and I really liked that. Your neutral (well park actually) safety switch can go at the bellcrank or at the tranny. You can use any push buttton momentary switch but I like an old starter pushbutton as they are rugged.

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 01:32:50 pm »
Thanks for the information Cranman, I appreciate your advise. Also good to hear from you again, I guess that means winter is coming. ha ha
I will definetly have to change something on my linkage as it is too touchy on any movement on the shifter (even a bit dangerous). Also, the way mine is set up I have to remind myself to think backwards (kind of like The Old Trucker). I will get at that sometime this winter once I get most of the major work done to the body and tracks.
Thanks again.

Offline orin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 06:58:21 pm »
I have it hooked up to the old shifter, it shifts the right way but it is touchy. I notice all the woodies with fords shift the right way, but the steel ones here all shift backwards with fords or dodges.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 05:08:36 am »
I have it hooked up to the old shifter, it shifts the right way but it is touchy. I notice all the woodies with fords shift the right way, but the steel ones here all shift backwards with fords or dodges.

Orin, that's because WOODYS HAVE CLASS !!!!!
  Orin maybe with a little adjustment you'll fix that problem. Ohh please take a pic or two of the way you got her hooked up & send them to Grfishmaker. He got me drove crazy asking about it.  Hey flatlander if you can dish it out you better be able to take it ..   Ha Ha Ha

Offline orin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 11:31:36 pm »
I don't mind the shifting, i guess i'm used to it. It would be nice though to have something to at least mark where the gears are so when someone else uses it they have an idea.
GR. a bell crank ( i looked up the meaning cause i had no idea what that was) will fix your shifter, i would put it on the pipe that goes across right behind the diff. I had to make one for the throttle and that's where i put it. (imagine my suprize when i found out the little thing i made out of a bolt and piece of flat iron has a name!)
I should have most of my hard wood frame done tomorrow, I HOPE! Can't find the camera to take pics, i'll look for it again first thing in the morning... :o