Author Topic: OT'S 47-51 ??? Rebuild ??  (Read 84694 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: OT'S 47-51 ??? Rebuild ??
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2010, 03:26:07 pm »
  Do anyone know the measurements of the wood pieces in these 2 pics ? I have what I call the left front fender, the piece with the curve & pipe in it. I know the other side is a mirror image.

OT.
  PS:   I had this post in Orin's site. I put it in mine to keep everything together.

Here are a couple of the latest pics. http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae141/orinleecarlson/045.jpg

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae141/orinleecarlson/044.jpg
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:31:48 pm by the old trucker »
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2010, 01:28:30 pm »
OT
I notice that bombardier always put the motor cenered one inch to the right, to line up with the diff. In the narrow guage that also allowed just enough room for the muffler. There may be some justification for having one plane straight in the driveline too but I don't think it matters that much. With the 300 it is a tight fit and I don't think there is room to have the 300 centered. The 300 owners can steer you in the right on this one.

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2010, 07:42:20 pm »
My biggest issue I had was to get enough room for the alternator. I had to put on a remote oil filter because I could not get a short oil filter on .

This is what we did also.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2010, 09:17:43 pm »

Thanks guys. I have to wait until next week to go at this again because the fellow that does my welding is away working till next Wednesday. I have a good idea how far ahead or back the motor goes, thanks to Orin. And now I know where to center it.
  I will weld the long 2x3 channels in place first, then lay the motor mounts in place & drill the holes to fasten it.
  Cranman are the rims from an older J5 the same as the bomber rim ?? I have a loan of one from Mike & it looks the same.
                                                thanks again from OT.   

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2010, 02:42:09 pm »
OT
I'm not sure if the J5 rim will fit as I don't have a J5. I remember that the ones I used in the 60's were smaller axles than the later ones. It may be that they were using the 15118 cones like the ones on the heavier metal machines made later. So maybe it will work ok on your smaller axle using 15112 cones in your 15250 cups. I can't find my old J5 book si I'm guessing here.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2010, 03:18:17 pm »
[. Also took a pic of the way the vacuum hose is pointing on the distributor. http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae141/orinleecarlson/009.jpg

This is Orins oil filter & dist. I plan to try & do the same with mine. If I have to move the oil filter, I'll see if I can find something around localy.
    Would oil run through a fuel filter mounting bracket ?? I had a remote (primary) fuel filter own my trucks. Maybe an oil filter may fit right in place. Any thoughts ??

OT. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 03:25:11 pm by the old trucker »

Offline bluetoque

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2010, 06:07:11 pm »
OT when I installed my 300 I took a hole saw and made a slightly larger hole in line with the filter.Filter is just flush with the tub...works like a dam to remove and replace. Your going to need the odd extra hole to disperse the heat that engine will generate when you put her to work!

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2010, 04:37:57 pm »

Swamp Dawg what are you using for a muffler in your bomber ?? I looking to have a deep mellow sound to her when under load. Guess I'm old school.
  I love the sound of Cam's bomber. In your video, go to min.7;40 of it & listen to that beautiful sound.

PS;; TURN UP THE VOLUME !!!!                                                 
                                                            A Quivering OT.                                   

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2010, 03:39:33 am »

Would anyone have any pics of the parts that I need to put my rim onto the axle ?? I know the front three axles have a spacer on them to line the wheels with the back one. I have nothing. I wanted to see what I can get or make locally before buying. Isn't there a big washer that goes on before the inner bearing goes on ?? Then the rim, outer bearing with another big washer before the nut & cotter pin. I have a manual but it's not clear enough to see. I want to put 4 wheels on now to help carry the extra weight of the engine.

OT.

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2010, 05:48:53 am »
O.T. 

I had new ones made for mine for they were worn a bit from running the bearing too loose.  I still have them and I could get you the dimensions.  You may check with Dan also.    There is no washer,  it just slides onto the spindle and then the inner bearing.  The spacers also act as a rubbing face for the wheel seal as well.  AND------  I have traced the plywood templates but the paper is huge.  about 5' tall and about 12" round when rolled up.  I am going to Valcourt tomorrow and then to St Raymond on Sunday witht the B12.   Do you have anyone you know that will be there,  I could give the templates to them.

Oldsledz

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2010, 07:52:05 am »

BIGDAVE can you get a pic of that window on the right from the inside ?? I want to see the brackets & how it all works.

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac210/BIGDAVE2_2010/pictures/DaveNali.jpg

Offline BIGDAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2010, 02:15:35 am »
OT, it's 2am!  You think I'm going out in my long johns and get a pic of the window??  You're lucky it not colder than +10 or I'd have to find a hat! Besides, my cute little model isn't here.  But what the heck, find pics on photobuckette soon.  BIGDAVE  ps I am going to need brief history of these Bombers for show.  Where to find?

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2010, 07:02:57 pm »

It's gonna be tight....Real tight !!! I finally got the motor in place. Everything looks centered up pretty good. I was thinking about putting an access door on the passenger side also... allowing access to the oil filter. I have the trans lined up where Orin was showing me & I have 15" from the crank pulley to the rear bumper. There's 13" from the fan to the rear bumper. I have 24" from top of the rear axle to the top of the fan blade. I have 2 1/2" clearance between the base pan & the belly pan. I have 11 gauge plate for the belly pan. Tomorrow I'll get the motor mounts welded together & make a mounting bracket for the trans.
  Should be lots of room for a radiator. I have being taking pics but I can't get them from the camera to the computer. I'll post them when I figure it out. She's starting to look good.

A Happy Old Trucker

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2010, 05:58:38 pm »
   Finally got it to work !!!

Here's the cleats that I can get. It's the one on bottom . This one is bent. It has the same length & same bolt hole spacing. It takes a 7/16 bolt & the one on top takes a 3/8 bolt. He wants $2.00 each & he says the pieces for the back go with it. Anyone got comments on this, Please ??

I have a chance to get rims off a 1949 J5, I was told they are same as mine.   

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0334.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0335.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0336.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0337.jpg
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 06:10:07 pm by the old trucker »

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2010, 06:15:40 pm »

Swamp Dawg what are you using for a muffler in your bomber ?? I looking to have a deep mellow sound to her when under load. Guess I'm old school.
  I love the sound of Cam's bomber. In your video, go to min.7;40 of it & listen to that beautiful sound.

PS;; TURN UP THE VOLUME !!!!                                                 
                                                            A Quivering OT.                                   

No muffler, straight out, and Its sounds pretty good.