Author Topic: OT'S 47-51 ??? Rebuild ??  (Read 85072 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: OT'S 47-51 ??? Rebuild ??
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2010, 08:41:51 pm »

As you can see, it's close. I have 1" on each side of the motor mounts. There's 7/8" clearance on the oil filter. I think I will put a second access panel in the passenger side, giving room to work at the timing, fuel pump & oil filter. I'm also putting in a removable panel in the belly pan for engine access.
  There is 13" clearance from the fan blade to the rear bumper. It's 24" from top of axle to top of fan blade now. Think it's enough room for a rad ??
  Anyone got thoughts on if I'm doing this right or not ?? Feel free to tell me if I'm doing anything wrong as I can use all the help I can get.  Thanks...

The Old Trucker
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2010, 09:30:48 pm »
looks like it's coming along!!
                                             kpm

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2010, 08:06:58 pm »

Here's what the old fellow has been doing the last couple of days. Been busy making new heat shield panels for both sides for better motor access. Put in a removable belly pan access panel. Tomorrow we, my neighbour & I, will make the framing that goes in front of the heat shields, a trans mount, plus a bit of framing around the belly pan opening to help stiffen things up. I'm hoping to get the welding done on Saturday.
   Here's a few pics.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0359.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0365.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0366.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0363.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0367.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0368.jpg 

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2010, 09:22:27 pm »
Damn OT this is looking good!  Keep up the excellent work!

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2010, 04:34:47 am »

Thanks Dawg....only problem is he just like Mike. Gotta have his TIMMIE fix to get started in the morning & when finished at end of day. I guess it's worth it though, he has being doing all the cutting & fitting.

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2010, 06:07:16 am »
O.T.

Looks real good.  Will you have it ready for next winter??

Oldsledz

P.S.-------I know,  I have got to get the pattern tracings to you soon!!!

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2010, 09:47:25 am »
OT..have not forgotten the manual......like I told you...it will be awhile...I am hoping to be in the city next week...and get her done!!!....AS FOR CLEARENCE ..MY 302 WAS BOUT THE SAME.....and never ran hot...temperature was around 170..
                                                      kpm

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2010, 10:06:06 am »

Copy that my friend.. I'm putting the old bomber in tomorrow for welding. Should have pics tomorrow night or Saturday.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2010, 01:09:39 pm »
you keep buying that gentleman all the Timmy's he can drink,he seems to be good at what he does!!
                                                    kpm

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2010, 02:42:41 pm »

oldsledz I would like to have her done for next winter but will have to play it by ear. The fellow that gave me the frame said if I show enough progress, he'll help me out with the wheels, as I still need five more. I can get enough J5 cleats to do the tracks for two bucks a piece. When I get everything welded in place, my buddy is icthing to get the motor in & running. Guess he wants to see how good my backyard mechanics are. Anyone got an old rad for sale as long as the tanks are good ?? I'll post a couple more pics tonight when I get home. So far I feel good as to how everything is coming together.
  Kpm I'm glad to buy the TIMS, but don't tell him that, his head will swell up !! And oldsledz, thanks for the patterns..

The Old Trucker feels like a kid in a candy store.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2010, 07:41:54 pm »
OT
     i'd stay away from the j5 cleats,my good friend has both j5's and bombardiers...he once tried the j5 cleats on the bombardier...and found they were not to his liking ..on the bombardier they tend to throw up way too much snow,and because of the higher outside leading edge they just did not perform as well as bombatdier cleats( they also made more noise)...as you know there are both a regular and heavy bombardier cleat....both seem to work well.....myself liking the heavy cleats...i'm sharing with you what my good friend shared with me....maybe better than trial by fire!!
                                                                                               kpm

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2010, 09:30:45 pm »
I agree with kpm on this one. Fellow across the bay here had them on his machine when purchased and didn't like them. There isn't enough on a j5 to do a bombardier and you can't very well mix and match with other cleats. The backing plates/track guides are too clunky and heavy too. On a woodie I'd suggest the light cleats with the 5/16" bolts and backing plates. Keep looking OT and some will turn up somewhere.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2010, 05:25:02 am »

Thanks  boys. I appreciate this info. I have another option in the spring, when the snow goes. There's a fellow that says he has a bunch of them still on the tracks in his backyard that I could have. Just gotta wait.
   OH well... gotta go ... got appointment with the welder. Hope everything goes good.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2010, 08:07:46 am »
.....well spring seems to be just around the corner..even here...so not long to wait!!!!...it's calling for a high of plus 10 here tommorow...a warm day for the rally...although i'm far from a camera buff,i will be taking mine and hopefully lot's of pictures!!....ot...i'll try and get a picture of cranman and his bombardier for you,as i know both him and his son...a face to go with the name(if u dont already have one)..he has an extensive history with bombardiers,and I consider his advice to be very good,as most of it would be first hand experience!!!
                                      kpm