Author Topic: OT'S 47-51 ??? Rebuild ??  (Read 81046 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: OT'S 47-51 ??? Rebuild ??
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2009, 09:31:41 am »
    Thanks Gror !! I appreciate it.  ;D   8)  ::) By the way Gror did you make a removable belly pan in case you have to work on the engine ?? If so, how big?  Gror or anyone that has a ford 300/C6 combo, can someone get a measurement & pic of where it sits in the frame, as I have no body sections to use as a guide.

Example ;  Measure from a cross member on the frame to a certain part on the engine or trans. I would like to get this done at the same time as the mounts & pan are done as I have to put the frame on my trailer & haul it down the road each time I want some welding done.

Thanks from OT.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 09:54:46 am by the old trucker »
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2009, 09:55:40 am »
yup it's shaping up OT,nice job!!
                                             kpm

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2009, 06:30:25 am »

Thanks KPM for the complements. I am in a bit of an emergency @ this moment. When we cut away the old tin that acts as a heat shield for the engine, I forgot to get a measurement of the height of it before. It was cut away with a plasma cutter. I still have the old stuff but it's hard to line up.
   I want to make sure I want to make sure that I end up with the right angle of the end pieces like you can see in Grfishmakers reply # 18. I have to replace everything across the back end. I have it geared up to get my welding started tomorrow.
   You can see what I am talking about at the start of my rebuild in pics 3 & 5.

A stressed out OT.

PS. I'll soon be as forgetful as you.... Grfishmaker !!! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline orin

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2009, 10:18:19 am »
O.T.  The tin is 17 1/2"s high at the end by the tranny and then the angle length at the back is 6 5/8"s. The small angle iron uprights go about 1/4" past or higher then the tin. Hope this helps you out.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2009, 07:22:02 pm »

Thanks Orin !! Now all I have to do is wait for the call to bring her to his garage.

OT.   

Offline orin

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2009, 07:00:36 pm »
Did you get it welded up O.T.? The 300 is a little longer the the old flat head was, so you want the end of your valve cover as close to the fire wall as you can get it and then move the rad back a couple of inches. I put mine a little to close to the firewall and had to move the firewall ahead an inch.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2009, 07:30:21 pm »

I bought it over today. We started to grind & clean up around the new weld areas. Will be putting in 10 ft. length sections of 11 gauge plate tomorrow. HOPEFULY !!
   That's what I'm trying to say Orin, I have nothing to go by like the firewall or rad mounting brackets. That's why I need to use some point on the frame if possible. Otherwise I'll have to wait till I start building the frame.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2009, 08:58:09 pm »

Well OT. is felling good tonight !! We got the plate in place & welded in. Got a couple of motor mounts made up. Even got most of the back section that holds the plywood & framing on each side of the rad door done. We will go at it again tomorrow morning for a couple of hrs. & come close to finishing it. I am taking pics of everything. Got to give to my neighbour to put on his computer & send to me.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2009, 06:06:46 pm »
 I took the cover off the trans yesterday & broke off two 5/16" bolts. I knew just who to call in to fix the problem. My neighbour!! He drilled a 1/8 hole through them, then used a 7/32 bit to chase the holes. When he was finished he taped the holes. Here are a couple of pics showing how accurate he was. I thought it was great for free hand work. Gotta stay on the good side with him.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0283.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0287.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0290.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0293.jpg

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2009, 07:14:40 am »

Orin do you have the number for that bushing you used on your steering?? I have to go to St. John's in three weeks for another checkup & that is where the only Princess Auto store is located down here.
   What do you think of drilling a hole through the housing & the brass & put in a grease nipple in to keep everything greased up inside??
                                                                      OT.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2009, 10:59:05 am »

I got an early Christmas gift offered to me yesterday. I was offered a 300 fuel injected Ford engine, free for the taking. It has low mileage on it. I would like to know if my C6 transmission will bolt up to this engine & if it would be a better engine for the bombers. I have a place to keep it out of the weather. Just want to know if it's worth bringing home.
  I must have been a good boy all year, I guess??

The Old Trucker

Offline orin

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2010, 12:10:12 pm »
O.T.  The bushings are 5/8X1X1 1/4. part no. 3872108.  you can see them on the princess auto web site. I was thinking of using a grease needle to give it a few shots once in awhile.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2010, 05:26:56 pm »

I like the idea of the grease nipple. A friend was thinking along the lines of using a sealed bearing. I think the bushing idea would work OK. Things are pretty well slowed down for now. my so called buddy "Art Rightis" is always hanging around this time of the year.

A stiff old trucker

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2010, 02:16:22 pm »
  Orin, Gror, or Swamp Dwag, when I put my engine (300 Ford) in place, how should I aline it side to side?? I was thinking of centering the big bolt on the crank in between the frame rails. I think it's 11.25 " Think that will be OK  ??? :-\ Thanks in advance   

Ohh... When I install my motor, the height from the belly pan to the bottom of the base pan will be 3". Think that will be enough clearance ??

OT.  
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 02:23:16 pm by the old trucker »

Offline gror

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2010, 06:07:11 pm »
My biggest issue I had was to get enough room for the alternator. I had to put on a remote oil filter because I could not get a short oil filter on .