Author Topic: Windshield  (Read 8558 times)

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
Windshield
« on: November 23, 2008, 06:28:21 pm »
 I have to replace the windshield in my narrow. Any suggestions as to what kind of glass (saftey or plexiglass?) I should use? Also, will most auto glass places cut out any size windshield piece? Any idea as to the price?

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: Windshield
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 06:45:35 pm »
   Grfishmaker, I think safety glass like is in cars would be the safest. Especialy if your in around the trees like I know you will be. Ha Ha.  I think they can cut almost any size. Sorry, can't help on the price. How is the glass held in place on a woodie ??
  Are you started at your woodie yet ?? Please send along a couple of pics. I saw the work you did on your 53 wide. I'm sure you'll do the same on this one.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 10:04:59 am »

I have been looking at a lot of pics of woodys & I was wondering about the windshield framing. Is the windshield put in place from the inside & held in place with narrow wooden strips ?? Can someone straighten me out on this ??

Thanks,  OT.

Offline gror

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 05:47:10 pm »
Mine was set in from the outside then a metal frame held it in from the outside.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 05:15:09 am »

Thanks Gror. But I thought the plywood on the roof & the hood section covered the top & bottom with 2 strips on the sides !!

OT.

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 04:56:33 pm »
OT - you are right about the plywood covering all around the window opening. The metal frame that the glass is mounted on sits overtop of the plywood. There is a picture of my windshield that I took off of my machine in my posts under narrow gauge rebuild. In the picture that I was teasing you using my old plywood for templates, you can see it leaning against the tree.
Now how did you miss that? I'm surprised! You are slipping there OT. ha ha

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 05:33:48 pm »

Guess you can mark it up to getting old & senile !! I thought you were going to copy the patterns onto a piece of paper & send them down.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 06:06:21 pm »
OT - you are right about the plywood covering all around the window opening. The metal frame that the glass is mounted on sits overtop of the plywood. There is a picture of my windshield that I took off of my machine in my posts under narrow gauge rebuild. In the picture that I was teasing you using my old plywood for templates, you can see it leaning against the tree.
Now how did you miss that? I'm surprised! You are slipping there OT. ha ha

Grfishmaker, First your saying the plywood covers all around the window opening. Then you say the metal frame sits over top of the plywood. I'm confused..........

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 06:15:35 pm »
The metal windshield frame sits overtop the finished plywood. Now don't make me come out there OT!

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 07:00:30 am »

When you do come over my way, bring the patterns with you. It'll save me a trip. Ha Ha . Seriously though if you look up Trail Talk & go under bombardier rally 09 pics & look at Cam's machine, pic # 8 & 9 you'll see all wood around it ( no rubber ) like yours is. Oldsledz bomber looks same as Cam's.
  Oldsledz how is your windshield held in place ??

A Bewildered OT.

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 04:42:11 am »
O.T.

It is held on the outside by the sheets of plywood which come in by the wooden frame about 5/8".  The windshield is put in from the inside and held with 4 pc of maple quarter round with brass screws.  The sealant is then laid on the outside perimeter of the windshield and that also seals the endgrain of the plywood.

Frank

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 06:04:57 am »

Thanks Oldsledz. That sounds about right. I remember Grfishmaker saying his was redone before he got her. I think his windshield looks like it came from an old metal narrow gauge. They cut out a rectangular section a bit bigger than the glass. Guess it was an easy fix at the time. 

The Old Trucker