Author Topic: ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS Please sign in.  (Read 33107 times)

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS Please sign in.
« on: October 16, 2008, 05:13:47 pm »
Greetings Fellow Bombardier Enthusiasts!

Its getting to be the time of the year when people uncover their old treasures, and start to wrench and prepare for the coming of winter.  (some people dread winter, but us crazy folk live for it).  Everybody has pride in their own individual machine(s), and we all like to discuss our different modifications and experiences, which really makes this site possible.

I have been noticing that a lot of people are signing up for the forum, but it seems they never post anything.  I realize some people just come to read, as I do on some other forums I frequent, but it would be nice to have a few more people active in the forums.  

I believe we have a huge cross section of people already signed up, from young to old, experienced to beginner.  It would sure be nice if some of the experienced guys started posting and schooling us know-nothings.  If anything, just chiming in on a question that people are having a hard time answering.  I myself, am quite new to Bombardiers so I'm not much help when it comes to the history of these machines or the different variations of the machine.  But I'm sure there are a few people on this forum that could write books with the information they hold.

So I would like to do a Roll Call. Think of it as introducing yourself, if you haven't already.  It's always interesting to know where people are from, etc.
It would be great if you provided details on :

Where you live (province/and or city)
How many years you've been around bombardiers, if any.
Maybe your background info (like what you do for a living ie. mechanic, electrician, Truck Driver......)
Which Bombardiers you have (list if you have more than one)
And any other info that you would like to share

« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 10:06:26 pm by Swamp Dawg »

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
Re: ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS Please sign in.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 05:20:44 pm »
I'll Start off

Name:                Paul Rossington
Experience:         Been around Bombardiers for about 2yrs
Background exp:  Welder/Fabricator/Machinist
Machines:           1952 Metal Narrow Gauge

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 08:24:12 pm by Swamp Dawg »

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 07:17:08 pm »
Name;              Claude Stratton
Location;           Pasadena, NL.
Experience;        Reading & learning about Bombardiers since reading about Cameron McLean in woodworking mag.
Background Exp; truck driver for 30 yrs.(owner/operator)
now on total disability.
Machines;   Finally got a 47-48 b12 to rebuild from ground up... Summer of 09!!

Favourite Machine;  1947 to 1951 wooden body, wide or narrow.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 06:32:30 pm by the old trucker »
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline bluetoque

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 08:15:06 pm »
Name.. Randy Denny. Prince Albert SASK .Bought my first bug in 1971 a 48 narrow ga wood still have it today. Was going to make my fortune comercial fishing in northern sask but after spending two winters in a wall tent I gave that up. I bought a 56 na ga steel bug from the DNR in meadow lake in 1980 ..we put it thro the ice on Reindeer Lake feb 16/84 in 80`of water. As it was licenced SGI retreived it in june of 85. I still have it today.I bought a third bug this past winter a 74 wi ga steel and am in the process of rebuilding.I am a retired bldg contractor with a passion for these machines since I was a kid. Have met many new freinds in cranberry since we started going to the rallys.

Offline LT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 09:28:48 pm »
Hi - Larry Hilworth - Yorkton Sask.   Farm Implement Dealer.   Having seen wide guages in west Yellowstone several years ago, I have wanted a Bombadier ever since.    That was 24 years ago.  In 2006 I finally found one...a 52 (I think) Narrow guage, flat head 6 , 3 on the tree.      Really never did much with it and it runs great.   We use it simply for recreation.   Absolutley luv it and my wife said sell her snowmobile.  She has way too much fun in the Bomby.    It has been a blast.   Would like to find a wide guage someday.   

Read the posts every so often.  Great to hear the stories and the pics are fantastic.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 06:51:32 pm by LT »

Offline houlio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 12:03:49 pm »
Name:          Claude R

Model:           B12-CS
Year:             1949
Gauge:          Narrow
Style:            Wood

Spent months restoring one that was "Tucked Away" for years.  Great project - that was in 2003 - 2004.  Since then have enjoyed learning about all the different models and features.  Enjoy hearing all the experiences people have had with these Bugs. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:53:38 pm by houlio »

Offline REDRANGER

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 09:28:23 am »
Bob Michael
Princeton, Minnesota

My friend Bill and I own Bombadier SV 200,Dozer style,  1979 Ford Ranger(red) that Bill put up on nylon Tracks, and our newest is a 65? B-12 that needs alot of body work. we have been going through it mechanically first.  Last year was lights, wiring problems new sprockets and bearings.  This year new wiring harness, change 3 speed trans to an automatic, new seats and put nylon on the skis, tranny cooler and radiator

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 08:56:11 pm »
Clarence Davis, Brandon, MB
Farmer,collector,mechanic,designer and builder.
Loved snowplanes and bombardiers since I was a kid growing up in Sask. Finally got a 1951 B-12 narrow woodie 3 years ago.  It is all origional but I am going to have it reupholstered this winter and put on the new track belts which are ready now. Could'nt find a snowplane so I built my own.

Offline chopperguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 04:09:40 pm »
Name: Gerald C.
Machine: 1948 Narrow Gauge
Body Style: Aluminum
Drive Train: circa '78 Ford 300 6 Cyl w/ Auto Tranny and a Mechanical drive line brake
Owned: 3 yrs.
Love 'em,best winter past time yet.Have yet to weld carbides on ski's for better steering

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 08:48:42 pm »
Name: Bob Huck....Cranberry Portage in Manitoba...Retired 13 years ago from a job that allowed me to bust bush all over Northern Manitoba with the government buying my gas and parts. Hell they even paid me. Friend found an old comercial Fisherman's narrow guage in a cow pasture south of Lake Manitoba. Then I found out what parts cost ! Lots of hours operating other bombardiers, wide, narrow,old,new, J5's,J7's,and M7's both gas and diesel. Broke..em, fixed..em ,sunk..em and pulled..em out.
      My machine is serial #2D4175 built 13-01-53, likely one of the last, if not the last, of the 1952 first year metal, that still had the wooden doors etc. Lots to do yet-paint and headliner etc. but motor upgraded to 265 cid and all running gear redone. Doors and tamarack rub rail redone by Cam McLean. Hope to finish her someday.

Offline Frank Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 04:21:21 pm »
My name is Frank Walsh. I reside on Oak Island, Minnesota, which is on Lake of the Woods, on the Minnesota-Manitoba-Ontario borders. I own and operate a fishing camp, which also caters to winter ice fishermen.

I have two machines. One, a 1950 woody that was completely rebuild by the "Bomber Maestro" Cam McLean 5 years ago. And a 1965 metal machine. It has just received a complete make over, and no longer looks like this. I have not seen it yet, so will be a surprise to me when I get it back next week.

All I have to say is this is a great site, and happy I stumbled on it.

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff340/Baystore/Temporary%20Stuff%201/MVC-630S.jpg

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff340/Baystore/Temporary%20Stuff%201/cid_073601c7217b252abb806401a8c0HPP.jpg

Offline Trapper 2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 04:07:07 pm »
Hi,
 Just found this site a few days ago. In the past, lived in Flin Flon, Manitoba. Use to help my dad commercial fish on Athapap, Wedge Lake, 1St, 2nd, 3rd Cranberry lakes in lte 50`s, early 60`s. We use to have 2 bombs. I was young at the time and can say I did not like the -40+ wather when we were fishing.
Now retired, living in Beaumont, Alberta. In the process of buying a wide gauge 52, R-18. It needs a lot of tender care. Will be asking for help to find parts here as I don`t know where to look at this time.
If I ever get it going, will try to make it home to Flin Flon for the meet. I just have to go across Athapap as we have a cabin on the big lake.

Doug

Offline Rainyriverjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 09:30:33 am »
started working at resorts on lake of the woods 14 years ago taking tourists out fishing in bombers. did that for a number of years for a couple of self sufficient resorts that did their own repairs.  i really liked the rigs and caught the bomber bug.  after the resorts i worked at a marina that repaired bombardiers in the winter and boats in the summer.  some of the projects were as simple as a new marine band radio install to as involved as 3/4 ton rear end swaps and fuel injection conversions.  one project i liked was fabricating a manual choke setup.  we punched our own tracks, rebuilt suspension drums, you name it.
  i dont own my own rig just yet, but i am pursuing a couple leads and am getting a excited at the prospect of having one.  bombardiers are difficult to come by on this side of the border.  i live in minnesota, midway between baudette and international falls.
  i just came across this site and it is one of the first i bring up every time i fire up this crappy computer i have.  my printer/scanner isnt compatible with it or i could send some pictures of one bomber i sunk in 11 feet of water one time or else some really nice scenery pics, among others.  i really like looking at bombers doing what they were meant to do even 50 or 60 years later.

Offline Frank Walsh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 07:19:53 pm »
Bombernut,

I assure you are referring to LOTWs Marine. I was just there today, picking up a machine.
Al mentioned someone he knows with a pretty nice woody for sale at a good price. You may want to call him.

Offline cletus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 03:33:59 pm »
Name:  Ray Rossington

Interests:
I have been interested in Bombardiers and other types of track vehicles since I was a kid.  In my previous life as a heavy equipment contractor we owned a number of track vehicles, Nodwells, Muskeg tractors and Cat dozers, used mainly for bush work and opening up winter roads.  Over this period of time we actioned a number of major rebuilds in our shop facility.

Presently I run a small manufacturing company specializing in the manufacture and marketing products used in ice road construction. www.bigice.ca
When time permits my partner and I (Swamp Dawg) have a number of projects on the go.  Our 1983 Bombardier Muskeg tractor is under going a ground up rebuild, the Bombardier 1952 Narrow Gauge is slowly coming back to life as it has seen a new driveline, tracks and body work, and the Bombardier 1974 Wide Gauge has not seen the shop to date.

General:
We recognized that there was no location on the internet that offered information resources for Bombardier Snow Bus ( Bug) users, so we created www.Northerntracks.com to try to provide a medium where interested individuals can view and exchange knowledge that is necessary to optimize the performance, reliability and looks of these fantastic over the snow vehicles while at the same time many new friendships develop with folks of mutual interest.

Going Forward:
 I would like to encourage more viewers to consider offering their help or views that is required by the various Bombardier owners/rebuilders.  There are signed in members that undoubtedly have an enviable amount of Bombardier knowledge by virtue of the fact they may have spent a life time working, repairing and rebuilding these great machines.
We would like to thank all that have contributed to this forum to date and look forward to  hearing from them in the future.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/mudflinger150/Our%2052/Bombardier1952narrow.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/mudflinger150/Our%2052/Bombardier1974.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/mudflinger150/Our%2052/Muskeg1983.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/mudflinger150/Our%2052/Muskegrebuild.jpg
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 03:50:00 pm by cletus »