Author Topic: french/english  (Read 6326 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
french/english
« on: June 18, 2008, 09:07:28 am »
Hey, Swamp Dwag. Is there any way NT. can translate french to english & vice versa. I may have found some French people wanting to look @ & possibly join our club. I have been talking to a couple that seem interested to share stories & pics. Anything we can do to accomodate them???
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
Re: french/english
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 10:49:16 am »
There are quite a few free translation programs on the net. The site below works very well. It will translate the whole NT site into french, german, chinese, you name it.. You can either type out a message in english and have it translated to french and then email it or you can type in the internet address of the site that you wish to translate and it will search the web and translate it. Really quite amazing.
If you "blue highlight" any text, copy it, and than paste it onto the babefish site, ou just simpley pick the language you want and hit translate. 
 The "babefish" site is very, very user freindly, but I don't think it will translate into Nefie. Just kidding.
Give it a whirl!
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 03:24:05 pm »
   By the way grfishmaker it's not newfie, it's newf-in-ese. Say it fast three times & you got it!!  It's one word!!!   NEWFINESE !!!
   Listen Grfishmaker, can you combine that into NT. somehow or use it separate??? I was trying to see if we can make it easy for everyone to use & keep the name of Northern Tracks. Try & combine it all into one site, maybe. Sort of like an option. 
   Maybe Swamp Dwag will have something to offer.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 03:27:08 pm by the old trucker »

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 09:31:41 pm »
Well now, I don't think you know who you are talking to. I'm still learning how to fly a kite, let alone try anything to fancy with computers.
It's pretty easy anyway. If you use the "babelfish" program and simply type in the "www.northerntracks.com" web address, it will change the whole site into the language you choose, everything from headings to individual category's. The only english you will see will be our user names. I don't think we can get any easier than that.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 09:36:04 pm by grfishmaker »

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 10:10:49 pm »
Sorry I missed this guys, I've been away from the site.  As far as I know, which isn't a whole lot, there isn't really a way to make a forum Bilingual since all the text is generated by the users.  If the site was a static information site then it could be bilingual no question.  If that translating program works then great.  The only thing we could do is set up the site so the text that is static is french like the headings and so on.  So when the user logs in or makes a new account, the language preference is asked then the site would work in french.  We would need a fair bit of French traffic to make it worth while to change.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 06:30:29 am »
   Hey Dwag I think Grfishmaker may have stumbled upon something that might work!!! I think we better hang on to him, he's smarter than we think.
   Grfishmaker I think you may have done it again!!! I will see what I can do & try getting word spread around for all of us to read, learn & share one anothers experiences from being around these wonderful machines!!!

Grfishmaker I wonder about you. I mean the name Grfishmaker & now Babelfish.yahoo.com. There's something fishy here!!! HA HA HA!!!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 06:37:20 am by the old trucker »

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 12:24:25 pm »

Swamp Dwag, this babelfish thing works, but looks like you will have to send email back & forth. I just sent him a couple of messages. It would be nice though if we could find somehow to comunicate on NT. If you or anyone want to send a few pics along, I'm sure he'll enjoy it according to the way I was talking to him on the phone today.   His email is;;; abmetal@globetrotter.net  He is trying to check out those bombers with the slides for me. I hope all this will benifit us. 

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 05:36:20 pm »
If anyone posts a message in french on our forum, we would just have to simpley have the babelfish program translate the message for us. It may be a round about way to communicate, but better than nothing.
It would be the same thing for when we would answer a french post; we would answer in english and he would have to translate our messages into french.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 06:31:46 pm »
whatever you got my head spinning. I know now it works. It's like you said. But we shall overcome

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 10:56:04 am »
Houlio you have messages!!!!!

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 02:29:27 pm »

I have noticed that when using the babelfish program, the translation on some words leaves alot to be desired.

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 05:38:24 am »
I don't even understand french and it looks kinda screwed up to me as well.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 06:39:01 am »
   Swamp Dwag I guess most of us don't understand French, myself included. But It shouldn't stop us from sending a few  pics of our bombardiers & a couple of words in english. I was talking to Allan last week on the phone. It was hard for him to understand me, so he called in David, an employee of his. Between the three of us, we had a great talk & a few laughs. They seem very interested in this site.
   They have some very nice looking bombardiers & no doubt can share some very interesting stories & ideas with us, & us with them!!!
   Between all of us, I think we can start a new friendship & increase membership!!!
  Anyone wanting to send a pic & say hello, below is his email
            abmetal@globetrotter.net   

You can send pics & words to; david.bernard@abmetal.net
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 01:56:22 pm by the old trucker »

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 06:47:25 am »
  Swamp Dwag. You look @ "bienvenue sur quebec b12" site yet? There are some very interesting pictures & stories there.
  What I noticed is their site has a spot there to click on to translate that site for different nationalities to read.
  Can we do something similar to accommodate them on NT ??? I think it has something to do with google.
   I would check it out more myself but I have enough trouble trying to turn on this box of wires !!!