Author Topic: DIESEL POWER ???  (Read 9022 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
DIESEL POWER ???
« on: February 22, 2008, 10:08:16 am »
Have anybody thought about putting in a deisel engine?? I was thinking a straight 6 cylinder. I don't know what you'd use for a transmisson. Do they have a lot of torque @ low
& mid range rpm? I'm sure you could find one that would fit.  Perkins deisel is seen in a lot of tractors around here. Would they be as good on fuel as the gas engine is? Anybody's thoughts?
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
Re: DIESEL POWER ???
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:40:27 am »
I've often thought a diesel would be great, since they are extremely powerful.  But I wonder if the extra weight would have any negative effects on handling.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 07:05:37 pm »
Hey Dwag, you think a diesel would be that much heavier than gas? I know i had cat engines in the trucks i've had. I found they had peak torque between 1200 to 1550 RPMS. they would pull like a train down in the low RPMS. I don't know if the smaller diesel engines would be like that? Think you'd get better mileage out of a gas engine or diesel? Your thoughts are welcome.

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 10:37:55 pm »
Well most other track vehicles have some sort of diesel engine.  Bombardier Swamp Buggies have Perkins Diesels, or Detroits.  Nodwells have Cummins I believe.  So I'm sure theres a engine out there that would be suited for this application.  I would imagine that diesel is more fuel efficient.  Gas engine have to work pretty hard to keep going at lower rpm, which burns more. These are slow moving vehicles, so I think diesel would be better.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 07:38:58 am »
SWAMP DWAG; what is the gear ratio in a stock bombardier? Anybody else know? I read some owners are saying they can't keep it in third gear. I wonder if they have a stock rearend  or something out of an automobile. If it's a car diff & you put in the next lower gear like from 3:90 to 4:11, wouldn't that help???
I know in a truck it'll give you more pulling power, but also it'll slow you down a little in speed. Guess if you want power you'll have to go with a HEMI.

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 09:20:19 am »
I'm not sure what the stock axles were.  I know that are 14bolt diff has 4.10 ratio.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 10:47:29 am »
Do you khink 4;33 would be better? I guess it's a matter of what you want to do. Faster or slower. Speed or power.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 01:42:40 pm »
Dawg do you think the extra weight (if any) of a diesel verus gas engine would keep the front end up too much to interfare with steering?

Offline fancydog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 01:47:23 am »
I know of a fellow in Buffalo Narrows that put a 6.2 diesel and put thousands of miles on it,all pulling slieghs.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 07:48:30 am »
fancydog, do you know what kind of machine that motor, & i assume transmission came out of???

Offline fancydog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 09:04:16 pm »
I believe it was a 6.2 from a chev

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 07:18:06 am »
fancydog do you know if the bombardier is a narrow or wide gauge? i would think it would be wide. that 6.2 sounds like it's too wide for a narrow gauge. do you have a machine, if so what is it? got any pics? 

Offline fancydog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 09:36:45 pm »
Its a wide,and can it ever pull a load.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 07:17:13 am »
Sounds like a strong machine. Does he have a muffler on it, or a small collector with STRAIGHT PIPES on it? Man i love that deep, mellow sound!!! Especially when their pulling. If it's an electronic engine ,like i guess 96 & up, can't you get a machine to plug in & program in more HP. or torque??  I guess the more torque he can get would be better for him. I mean for hauling heavy loads.
   I think that machine on radar-runs has its exhaust out the back just between the tracks. Don't seem like a lot of room for mufflers on that one.
   Sure would be nice to see a pic of his machine with a trailer in tow. I don't think I've seen any pictures of a bombardier with a trailer in tow on this or any site yet. Would be nice if you can get a few pics of the motor in the machine for us to see how she fits. Never know, might start a new trend!!! I just read that cam just fired up the engine in another old woodie. Boy o' boy, I'd sure love to have been there for that. Anyway it's time to back to dreaming about them, AGAIN !!!  ha, ha

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 09:17:30 am »
..ducks unlimited had a wide gauge with a diesel in it......they had lot's of trouble with it....they switched to a 318 v8 gas...and are still running it!!