Author Topic: Memorabilia  (Read 25657 times)

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
Memorabilia
« on: February 18, 2008, 08:56:21 pm »
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh31/grfishmaker/Picture108.jpg
Here's an old ashtray from the past for those of you who enjoy a little bombardier memorabilia. Anyone else have anything along this line?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 09:24:56 pm by grfishmaker »

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
Re: Memorabilia
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 08:59:11 pm »
Sorry for having to re-post. I tried adding a few photos and ended up removing the whole topic. I'll try again later.

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 10:40:06 am »
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh31/grfishmaker/0526_50.jpg
Fresh off of the assembly line.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh31/grfishmaker/BombarierB12.jpg
I see on one of the bombardier museum pages that this was called a "B1" and most went over to the UK.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 06:43:12 pm by grfishmaker »

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 12:16:42 pm »
Great photo my man. I noticed that in the second photo that the cargo door is on the right & not on the left. When did they change that?
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 12:32:53 pm »
I believe that it could be a special order. Most bombardiers han one cargo door, and some had two. Also, you could specify as to which side you wanted it on.

Offline houlio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 05:27:32 pm »
Nice pictures, always interesting to look at items and photos like that.

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 11:17:15 pm »
Yes, I enjoy the great history of these machines also. The one in the bottom picture sure allows easy access to the front suspension. It's like todays ski-doos', everything out in the open. The engineering has come in full circle. lol

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 05:48:26 pm »
The following are a couple quotes from a book on Joseph Armand Bombardiers life.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh31/grfishmaker/capture1019200483604_am.jpg
"By1930 he had built close to a dozen vehicles, using old Fords and Dodges and anything else he could lay his hands on."
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh31/grfishmaker/capture1019200483118_am.jpg
"Armand worked persistently to improve the B7, adding three large wheels to each side in 1939. During the second World War, he produced the B7, which could only be sold to special permit holders. Production of the B7 ceased in 1944."
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 08:34:54 pm by grfishmaker »

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 05:55:38 pm »
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh31/grfishmaker/20070526103409.jpg
Although this has nothing to do with Bombardier, I had to add it as there where probably a few people trying various ideas.
This has to be a pretty original attempt to get around in the winter. I like his plywood fender he has installed. I would imagine that it took him approx. 20 feet to decide to add that feature.
I think we would have arms and legs like Popeye if we drove this around for a week or so. Hopefully he had a throttle control on the handles and not just on the motor; otherwise if you ever fell down, there goes your machine.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 08:38:20 pm by grfishmaker »

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 07:42:35 pm »
grfishmaker you got too much time on your hands!!

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 10:34:54 am »
Grfishmaker & Houlio plus anyone else
I just got off a site called; ( http;//archives.cbc.ca/economy_business/manufacturing). Look over the site. I think under manufacturing and under business you should find a few old video clips about bombardiers & a couple about Mr. bombardier. Please let me know if you can't find it. Worked for me. Thanks.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 05:22:20 am »
Grfishmaker I noticed in your reply # 8 that the little machine that's not a bombardier has a bar that looks like it's mounted to the center of the wheels. What would that be for.
  Also in the second photo, @ the first of memorabilia  do you know what model that is???

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 08:08:10 am »
Good question. And the answer is "I don't know". My guess is that pehaps all the tires were tied together as part of the suspension. Maybe the middle wheel was simply an idler wheel and used to just hold up the track for tension. Like I say, this is just a guess. You certainly analyze the photos closer than me. Next you will want to know what is inside the wooden barrel in the picture below. lol

As for the machine with the man with the brief case standing beside it......I believe that this was perhaps a special order military machine. The only reason I say this is that we have one (it has since been modified to resemble a regular wide gauge). I have seen a photo somewhere of three machines like this parked together along with some army jeeps, so that is why I say this. The bombardier like this came to our town (late 40's?) was an ex-military machine used up on the Dew Line. For a while, it had the back wooden body widened to fit even with the tracks and the front cab part was left as is, like a narrow gauge. Probably looked like a big woodtick. As I said, it has since been modified again to look like a regular wide gauge. My dad always used to call it an "extra wide gauge" for some reason, so I don't know if the special order military made machines were oddball or not. I will measure the old girl sometime this spring; now that you got me curious.
  Hey, you guys up in Cranberry should know something about this old-style design. What do you think?Even photos of these seem to be few and far between. I'm sure that if the old girl could talk, she could probably tell some very interesting tales.

Offline houlio

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 05:53:33 pm »
Hey there OT I checked out the CBC site that you mentioned.  Good find - there were some interesting video clips there.  Thanks for passing on the information.