Author Topic: Starter conversion  (Read 6755 times)

Offline bluetoque

• View Profile
Starter conversion
« on: April 08, 2013, 07:52:07 pm »
I'm wanting to convert an old bug I have with a 251 flathead from 6v to 12v which is easily done. I plan to leave the 6volt starter in place but want to get rid of the mechanical start(foot pedal) and convert to key start. Can I adapt a solinoid to existing 6volt starter etc..... anyone done this or do I have to try find a 12 v starter with solinoid etc that would bolt up?

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
Re: Starter conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 10:41:54 am »
The 6 volt starter works great on 12 volt Randy, maybe even better . Just send 12 volts over to it from a 12 volt solenoid activated at your key switcn.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 10:48:48 am »
Don't forget to switch the wires at the distributor around because the 6 volt is positive ground. I posted the full procedure on here a few years ago.

Offline bluetoque

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 06:57:39 pm »
Yes I am going to follow your post from earlier. However I'm unclear how a solinoid will work as the lever on the starter motor engages the starter drive manually about the time it hits the button on the starter to engage starter motor? I would like to stay with 6 volt starter if able.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 09:57:35 pm »
It is so long ago I don't recall exactly but I think there is 2 cap screws holding the old foot start that you have to takeoff to expose the main terminal. My solenoid is on the firewall just above it. My spare is 12 volt from Combine World in Saskatoon $75.00 Maybe Averman will come on as he has converted his 1948 recently.

Offline bluetoque

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 07:53:44 pm »
I can see the solinoid energizing the starter motor but what engages the starter drive in your application?

Offline bluetoque

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 08:35:45 pm »
Averyman what did you do with your starter when you changed up to 12v. Did you leave the starter as mechanical or did you change to key start?

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 12:40:28 pm »
Randy, mine is a 6 volt with a bendix so it had a solenoid mounted on the starter (that was removed) and I run it from a 12v solenoid on the firewall. Talked to Ted at coffee this morning and he said they used to use the old manual rod on 12v but you can't run it to long cranking 12 volt direct. I think my starter was off an old stationery engine from a cement mixer, so that type may be hard to find.

Offline bluetoque

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 09:33:46 pm »
Use a  Wilson 3252 for a 12v conversion