Author Topic: 6volt or 12 volt  (Read 4626 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
6volt or 12 volt
« on: March 12, 2008, 07:03:22 pm »
   Cranman, do the 1957 c-18 have a 12 volt system? I was reading your article from a while back. Also where should the original gas tank be located to on this machine? How is the rad door suppose to open?, & where should the exhaust exit through the body?
   Is there much trouble to install a 250 chevy 6 cylinder engine & trans into this machine.   thanks again. 
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
Re: 6volt or 12 volt
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 09:24:15 pm »
It should be a 12 volt but with a generator instead of an alternator. Gas tank about 12 gal Imp on left side in the engine compartment tucked in (form fitting) under the taillights. Some were ordered with tanks on both sides. Rad door opens out to the rear on two hinge bolts basically same as the other doors. The muffler runs below and back from the exhaust manifold with a pipe just through the tub between the centre two wheels of the track. As for the 250 chev I think it is a little light on hp for the metal machines. Seems ok on the woodies. The old flat heads seem adequate for the narrow guage metal, again a bit light for the wide guage loads. I'd prefer the 300 Ford auto.