Author Topic: Changing Exhaust manifold gasket on 6 Cyl in a early 1950s wide gauge  (Read 4434 times)

Offline CranPortagers

• View Profile
Hello.

I am wondering if anyone has had experience changing an exhaust manifold gasket on a 6 Cyl wide gauge?

If yes would you mind providing suggestions?

Thank you.

Perry

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
Re: Changing Exhaust manifold gasket on 6 Cyl in a early 1950s wide gauge
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 12:18:01 pm »
I think it's pretty straightforward if everything goes right but it seldom does when you start trying to get an exhaust off an old vehicle. If you are lucky it will come off without breaking off any bolts but if they do break they are a bugger to get at to drill and easy out and chase the threads. Mine is corroded around the joint to the intake but still holding. Do you have the heavy exhaust with the 4 bolt gasket at the muffler pipe. These are the best apparently. I don't have the part #'s for the gaskets but they are available. I think there are 4 at the entry to the block and two for hole ones for the join and the pipe but I could be wrong. If I get over to Ted's I'll look in the Chysler Industrial Engine Manual. I should have copied it when I borrowed it last...

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
Re: Changing Exhaust manifold gasket on 6 Cyl in a early 1950s wide gauge
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 09:18:20 pm »
As Cranman says the biggest problem will be removing the manifold without breaking the bolts.   When you go to reinstall the manifold DON'T OVERTIGHTEN the bolts.  My manuals don't go back that far but I would suggest 10 - 15 Ft/lbs of torque. Wait for someone to post the exact specs if you can.                                          Cranman, if you can make copies of your friends engine manual I would be happy to pay for one...
Clarence