Author Topic: Swamp Dawgs 52 Buildup Progress  (Read 27959 times)

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
Re: 52 Buildup Progress
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2008, 08:25:50 pm »
I made the Rad door from 16ga, and I think the belly and nose are 12ga.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2008, 03:59:22 pm »
  Swamp Dawg did you get your old radiator recored,  using the old tanks or did you modify a different tank ?? I'm curious ??
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2008, 09:43:09 pm »
We refurbished the old tank, just cleaned out the scale.  We put in a different rad all together, it barely fits.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2008, 06:58:56 am »
  Sorry Dawg i screwed up with the way I asked my question. What I thought I asked was did you get your old rad re cored by using the tanks from the old rad. Did you have much trouble getting the gas tank clean & what kind of machine did your new rad come from??
  Lastly Dawg, You have a carburetter engine in your bomber. I can get a 6 Cly. 300 Ford with fuel injection. Some people tell me that a fuel injected engine will not starve for fuel. Do you or anyone else have have any problem with regards to fuel.   

« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 07:10:54 am by the old trucker »

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2008, 10:14:04 am »
Oh I miss read your question, ( I read pretty fast).  No we never bothered with cores on the rad, we wanted a bigger rad for increase cooling efficiency.  The tank is I believe an original steel somewhat square tank, that wasn't in too bad of shape.  We put a handful of small sized slag (byproduct of the mine in town), and shook it to death then cleaned with varasol a few times. 

Yes its carbed engine, we haven't really had any fuel delivery problems that we could notice, actually I think I stalled it once when I spun out on a steep hill.  I suppose fuel injection would have prevented that.  We did think about converting ours to fuel injection, but we decided that staying simple with a carb might be more reliable.  But if the motor already has it, I would hesitate using it in a bomber.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2008, 10:29:33 am »
What did your new radiator come from ?? CHEVY....FORD..... or DODGE?? Nice to know. Save some wear & tear on the old measure tape !!! Might help out Gror also !!!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 03:42:27 pm by the old trucker »

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2008, 08:22:22 pm »
I don't remember, I think its out of an Industrial application.

Offline gror

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2008, 05:56:22 pm »
Im using the original rad because it is a heavy industrial one and has just been recored. Only change Ive done is got the old filler cut off and a pressureized one put on . Hoses are giving me trouble but finally got that figured out. If lucky should be running for Christmas.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2008, 02:26:32 pm »
  Swamp Dawg did you use the original muffler on your rebuild & Gror what are you using?

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2008, 08:49:17 am »
   Swamp Dawg, 57narrownewf is taking out the old 251 & thinking about putting in a 300 Ford. I noticed you said there is not a lot of room there, but it fit. Would you or Gror have any measurements or tips on where the engine mounts should be mounted to ??     

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2008, 07:42:01 pm »
You know, the best way to mount an engine is trial and error.  There isn't really anyway I can measure the mounts and give an accurate description that would fit his machine.  You have to take into consideration the angle the motor will sit at, the fan distance from the rad, transmission supports, and of course all the motor trimmings have to clear the firewall and tub.

We are going to bring the bomber in the shop in a week or so, if we have the belly pan off I can shoot some pictures of how it sits in there.  As you know its a little hard to show pictures of the mounts because you can't even see them.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2008, 10:15:41 pm »
  10/4 on that Dawg. I think you have a couple of pics of the mounts mounted to the motor posted here now. I guess the best way to go is to put the engine & trans together, then when it's in position check clearances between rad & fan, & everything else should pretty well fall in place, I hope. 

Offline gror

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2008, 08:13:51 am »
I agree I used a lot of Swamp Dawgs pictures for refrence but the only way to do it is put it in and take it out a 100 times till you get it right.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2008, 09:41:29 am »
  Copy on the 100 times Gror. I guess all it takes is a lot of trial & error. I'm just not too keen on the 100 times though !!!!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 11:32:58 am by the old trucker »

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2009, 07:25:47 pm »

Swamp Dawg have you got the old 52 back in the shop yet ?? What are you hoping to get done for this turn around ?
   Hear back from Gror about his machine. Also did you see Houlios dvds yet ? You'll have to get after him to make a copy for yea.
   It's costly getting a bunch made up @ a time. I got a couple more pics of Mike's bomber to send your way as soon as the young fellow puts them in the computer.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 11:18:18 am by the old trucker »