Author Topic: Swamp Dawgs 52 Buildup Progress  (Read 27956 times)

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
Re: 52 Buildup Progress
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 09:21:55 am »
The new dash is almost complete.  We bought all new gauges, still waiting for the speedo to get here though.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/mudflinger150/Our%2052/dash002.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/mudflinger150/Our%2052/dash001.jpg

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 11:26:47 am »
SWAMP DWAG that's gonna be one darn good machine when done!! What is that 1/4 turn gate valve for? A shut off for your heater? Good idea. Neat looking & up out of the way. That dash is going to be sharp looking. You know you can get small rectangular boxes with wording on them such as  LIGHTS - ENGINE FAN - SPARE & the list goes on. Lots of options. I think they would compliment the dash. They also light up with your dash lights. No more fumbling in the dark to find a switch.  I think you would like the freightliner ones. Also look at peterbilt, kenworth, & western star. If you see a truck somewere look at the dash. You can also get visers to fit around your gauges. they make everything stand out. My hats off to you. Doing a real great job.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 07:03:25 am »
  mr. swamp dwag, is that a grey primer you have on the floor or is it some sort of undercoating? sure makes it look 100% better! dwag that heater up front, is it just for the defrost or do it also warm up the front of the cab?    hope you fellows are not getting bored with me asking questions about these machines. i'm new to all this & i find it very interesting.

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 08:14:00 am »
There are 2 heaters in the front, the small round heater keeps the window warm.  The big square one is the cab heater, which has a valve to shut the flow of hot water to it.  Sometimes it gets way too hot in there.  And the floor is just primer.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 08:18:14 am by Swamp Dawg »

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 07:15:25 pm »
hello again sir. i noticed in one of your pics that your machine has coil springs on the front. i thought they had a chain hooked to a pipe with a spring inside. is that something stock or is it modified? do you have a closeup of that area? i dare say if i were up around where all you people live, i'd go through a heck of a lot of film! 

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 03:47:22 pm »
Swamp Dawg what are you planning to do with regard to the dash. Thinking about paint? What about wood? A nice piece of oak or cherry veneer about 1/16th" thick with a nice stain on it, I think would look sharp. You can cover up the two welded ends with a piece stainless angle. It would look simular to that one on Rader Runs. 
Keep up the great work. If I ever see you, I'll pat you on the back!!!

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 08:35:35 am »
Nope no wood.  This is a metal bombardier!  We painted it black with a textured paint.  Looks real sharp.  Pictures to come.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 11:34:49 am »
Dawg I noticed you still see the channel frame on the floor in the dash pic. Do that whole area be covered with metal right to your heater?  Doing a great job!!! Can't wait for more pics. I wish others would show some of their handy work.

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 07:35:25 pm »
Yes it might get covered in eventually, but leaving it open to the front.  I'm pretty tall and I need my leg room!

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2008, 11:38:26 am »
Swamp Dwag how are you doing with the 52 build up? Never heard from anybody, only that ol' Grfishmaker. Sort of seems like everyone left for a break.

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 07:06:14 pm »
Modifications are done for this year.  Its sitting in a mud puddle, time to put it away.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2008, 04:39:29 am »
Nope no wood.  This is a metal bombardier!  We painted it black with a textured paint.  Looks real sharp.  Pictures to come.
   Mind showing an ol' fellow what the dash looks like with paint? I guess work is picking up for the summer up your way. Kinda tight finding extra time for the bomber.
   In my case I'd be picking @ it in the summer & riding in the winter!! Lots of time on my hands. Good luck & looking forward to seeing her this fall.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 04:49:42 am by the old trucker »

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2008, 01:41:26 pm »
Looks ok. What gauges do you have? Speedometer, tach, oil pressure, water temp, gas, volt meter, amp meter, & trans temp? You plan on keeping that barnyard Cadillac steering wheel? Only joking about the wheel Dwag!!! Do the horn work?

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2008, 05:50:07 pm »
   In reply # 12 Dwag, I saw new steel plate for the pan. Would it be the same gauge as used for the rad door & the front hood section ??