Author Topic: 727 tf neutral safety switch  (Read 6312 times)

Offline FORD F-150

• View Profile
727 tf neutral safety switch
« on: February 27, 2019, 12:12:12 pm »
I have a 727 torqueflite tranny with the neutral safety switch disconnected and was wondering if anyone out here knows how to wire up the 3 wires coming from the neutral safety switch. I’m trying to hook it up so I don’t start the engine I’m any gear for safety any pictures or diagram would be great

Offline Snowbusman

• View Profile
Re: 727 tf neutral safety switch
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 07:58:01 pm »
The safety switch is a very simple method to signal you in the drivers seat that the transmission is in neutral via of an indicator lamp and also supply a ground to the starter relay so the start button can be pushed with results. The Neutral switch should be two connections, make and break, with one side going to ground!
If you switch is three terminal then I suspect one post is to run forward for the indicator lamp. Hope I helped. I am available for additional help!
Bob

Offline Old blue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 09:57:59 pm »
 The  ground wire from the remote starter relay  ( on corner of the relay)goes to the Center terminal on the transmission this way when you put it in park or neutral it grounds within the trany . The other two  terminals On the transmission sensor are for back up lights.  You must have a wire from that ground terminal on the relay grounding externally  if it is starting in any gear,it will have to be disconnected  I could send you pictures if you need them I do not know how to put them on this web page

Offline FORD F-150

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 02:22:10 pm »
Thanks guys for the replies. I am wondering if anyone had any issues with a shakey engine due to a Tranny off a 318 bolted to a 360 engine or if it is even the transmission that’s shaking the engine. It seems after running the engine while it shakes the tranny started leaking. Any leads would help with my problem.

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 08:39:38 pm »
318/340 Mopar small blocks are internally balanced like most engines. The 360, however, is externally balanced, which requiresthat the flywheel or torque converter provide the balancing act.  So you must used the torque converter from 360 only.
D. Paulson

I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken

Offline FORD F-150

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 11:38:25 am »
Thanks for the info dPaulson, that information will go a long ways in helping others again thanks, I hope your project is going fine

Offline Snowbusman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 05:12:07 pm »
Hi Guys,
Just catching up on this subject and very excellent replies. If you are feeling that much vibration that you are feeling it at low RPM's I would suspect an installation problem just like what has already been mentioned, part in compatibility, alignment, worn pilot hole (which I have seen ) or worn out parts. Its difficult to analyse and work through through it! Been there myself1

Offline FORD F-150

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 02:35:37 pm »
Hi guys, I got my tranny rebuilt and weights added for the balancing. Now that I have the tranny problem fixed I noticed oil leaking on the crankshaft area. So all I need to do is install new rear main seal and all will be good with my machine. Thanks all for the replies, much needed help 😉