Author Topic: Track Life  (Read 4714 times)

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
Track Life
« on: September 16, 2006, 10:25:17 am »
My 1951 B 12 has  original tracks that look to be in good shape and it was said to have been stored inside most of its life. My questions are what is the normal life expectancy of a set of tracks? Just over 9000 miles on the machine.What do I look for when checking them over? Are new tracks available? At what cost?  My computer would'nt download the Shavers catalogue.
Thanks, Clarence

Offline eski

• View Profile
Re: Track Life
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 08:32:49 pm »
Hello, i have put over 10,000 miles in the bombardiers that i have and gone through  two sets of tracks.I have traveled from Churchill,Man. to all of the keewatin district,thats in Arviat, Whale Cove, Rankin Inlet~~~~~~~Eski~~~~~~

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 08:13:56 pm »
The tracks on the older machines had 2 cables inbedded in the rubber. If left outside in summer any cracks in the rubber would let rainwater down into the cable and it would rust. This usually showed up with breakage early in the following season. New rubber belts are readily available. Your cleats no doubt will be in very good condition. New bolts will be needed. There are good commercial joiners to put the track belts together. Some people just overlap them a few cleats but this is not desireable as you can feel that section as it goes over the sprocket. Hollow drill bits are used to drill the bolt holes, either 5/16ths or 3/8 ths of an inch. People here are making a template to ensure the holes are right. Plywood templates can be damaged so some are arborite over plywood and can be reused without damage. Again Shavers have good track replacement items. It's sort of a summer time project. Hopefully your tracks will be ok. If you do redo them with todays superior rubber they will be good a lifetime. The track joiners are Flexco 140E.

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 11:14:20 am »
Thanks Eski and Cranman.. I purchased new pre-punched belts from Shavers and have started transferring the cleats, I agree that it would be a better job for the summer. Dan at Shavers was very helpful and I have no hesitation in recommending them, I don't know what the sport would do without their services..