Author Topic: My 1952 R-12 build, lots of questions for guys who have been there, done that  (Read 12765 times)

Offline Walrus

• View Profile
Yup, same guy too.  The rad cap is 1.8#.  It was fine for my 318, but may be too high for a 251.  You'll need to check with some 'oldtimers'. ;).  I think just the mounting flanges are a bit wide that they'll need to be trimmed a bit.  Also the mounting flanges are welded on a bit of an angle compared to being welded straight like the original.   I think I cut mine off and rewelded them straight only because I've got the equipment to do it.  It probably wouldn't matter if the rad was at a bit of an angle, or you may be able to do some shimming to keep the rad upright.

I've got a mig, give me an excuse to buy a spool gun for it ;D

Offline Walrus

• View Profile
So today I too the windshield thinking I just need a new molding to get it installed correctly, Get some of the plywood on the sides off and I see a VW logo, what the heck? I guess he found something close and made it work, that sucks, now I need a windshield. Have to get it cut, megabucks I'm sure.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u43/walrus_07/IMG_1170_zpsce38cd7b.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u43/walrus_07/IMG_1164_zpsc397b52e.jpg
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 04:23:08 pm by Walrus »

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
When I rebuilt mine, I broke the first windshield as it was cut too big and was tight, but I got over it and purchased another.  That just the way it goes. :)
D. Paulson

I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken

Offline Walrus

• View Profile
Called about getting a windshield cut, 100 bucks, not that bad. Waiting on the molding from Shavers and then I'll get one cut. This thing is going to be expensive. Are wheel bearings available for it? what about the seals/ I notice I have no brakes to be honest I don't even know how the brake works, I assume its on the rear end or tranny but haven't really looked. I know that it doesn't stop the thing ;D

another video, a test drive
http://youtu.be/fj-V0spERDA

Offline Walrus

• View Profile
Got my new windshield installed today, cut and installed for 90 bucks, very nice. Welded a few holes shut and painted with POR15 before the new glass went in. Should hold it until I decide how far I go on this thing.  Wish it would have been installed years ago as I figure the floor would be in much better shape if water hadn't been pouring in all these years.

Next is recovering the sprockets, checking wheel bearings, replace as needed, grease. Not sure when I'll have time to do that though?

Offline Walrus

• View Profile
So my project has been on hold as my 251 blew up, actually I think it spun a bearing and is stuck but blew up sounds more interesting :)

I actually found another 251 ind local to me but its in a jitterbug, for those not knowing a jitterbug is a vehicle built to go into woods and drag out tress, wood etc. Its an old military vehicle. I have a friend who knows who built it and said it ran great but its been sitting for awhile. It was sold to someone who wants to put a different drivetrain in it. I've seen it, turned the engine over by hand so it isn't stuck. Trouble is the guy says he will get engine out but hasn't done it. Been a few months. So Not sure if I'll ever get it???

Offline Snowbusman

• View Profile
I have been going back looking at old post and this one really caught my eye!
 There is a picture of the original pin stripping that was applied when the machines were delivered---Amazing!
I feel this machine was worth saving and I don't think not too much money. Is the project still alive? Snowbusman