Author Topic: Houlio's Pictures  (Read 21198 times)

Offline gror

• View Profile
Re: Houlio's Pictures
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 09:52:48 pm »
I was told, yes, it would cover fire,accidents,liability and falling through the ice.its broken down to $200 for insurance and $ 32 for registration.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 09:54:51 pm by gror »

Offline houlio

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 12:35:44 am »
Thanks excellent, thanks for the information gror.  I will check into it more using that approach.

Houlio

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 02:47:50 pm »
Houlio, would you know the approx. height from the bottom of your( belly pan or tub as cameron calls it) to the top of the floor & to the top of the seat. Also would that area be the same for a wooden body or metal body machine?? Is it all metal or so much metal & wood??  Is there any wood on the floor area just ahead of the tracks? Just sizing things up.
                                                                   thanks claude
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline houlio

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 05:09:45 pm »
Hey Old Trucker - you're wondering about the height from the bottom of my belly - well I'm not real tall and I've got short legs so ...   I'll try to get to it in a couple of days and see what I can provide for measurements for you.  I'll snap a couple pictures for you as well. 

Houlio

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 06:47:26 pm »
      Must have been those razor blades for supper!!!! Ha Ha. Kinda figured your that kind of guy.
      I'm just thinking about if I were to build a machine from scratch. AGAIN!! I was looking at your pics from st. breiux.com and it looks like I would only have to build everything straight & square for the bottom. They say that axles, tracks,& rear end from a j-5 should fit ok. If I can't find something for sale I was thinking that a woodie like yours is or looks pretty straight foward to build. Which is want I want. Between yours, swamp dawg's & everyone else's pics & a machine to look at, I think I can come close. I noticed the sides are turned in a little towards the ends & they lean in a bit toward the top also. Just a matter of sizing everything up. Measure four times & cut once.
    I appreciate all the help I'm getting from you people. Just a matter of me getting my mind made up!!! Hey I''ve got the time.
Just need the money.     old bombers love snow!!!     

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 08:17:20 am »
Houlio,
  When you and your dad did the rebuild, did you use the two different size chains on the back suspension like it shows in diagramm in your old manual? (Five link/seven link, five link/seven link series) I notice that the chains that Dan Shaver makes up are three link, but they equal the old five link chains due to the larger chain size he uses. I found one old seven link chain (still had the original bombardier tag on it) as well as two of the old flat bar style links in our old shed and they are the same size; bolt eye to bolt eye. I believe that the two different sizes were found only on the older machines. (I may be wrong).
 The reason I'm asking, is that the old 47-48 narrow gauge I purchased sits very low on the back end and upon inspection, I found that it has some three link, some five link, some six link and one old seven link chan on it.
 I will be redoing the suspension next fall and was curious as to what you guys did. Also, I think your machine has four chain links on the front; not like the five shown in the manual. Did you use a larger size chain there, or is there allot of forgivness on the link length of the chains used?
Thanks Houlio.

Offline houlio

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 09:10:55 pm »
grfishmaker;
To the best of my knowledge these are all still the original chains (I may be wrong) but we never replaced these parts.  My Dad didn't remember Grandpa changing them either unless it was done in the early 1950's.  I have one closer picture of the suspension on my hard drive that I will email Swamp Dawg and ask him to post for me.  We are going for one last ride this weekend, I will see if I can get some better pictures for you. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 06:18:57 pm by houlio »

Offline grfishmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 10:23:39 am »
Thanks Houlio, and by the way, nice job on your machine. Looks super and well done.

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 05:54:28 pm »
New picture added of ski arm for houlio on first page.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2008, 08:21:24 am »
Does anyone have suggestions or comments about getting a Bombardier appraised or insured?  I spoke with the local small town insurance firm and they weren't sure where to start.

--Houlio--
    Houlio did you ever get an appraisal done on your machine ? I was wondering if you thought about asking one of our new members ( Bombardier) if he could help in any way.
  You know that he lives close to the birth place of your machine!!! He may know of someone that can help in that area.
    Maybe Bombardier themselves might be interested in seeing pics of the machine, I'm sure they would. Just a thought !!!  By the way Houlio I've built a dozen bombardiers just like yours already !!! In my dreams, that is !!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 08:25:10 am by the old trucker »

Offline houlio

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 01:07:44 pm »
Hi there OT,
I never did find a good source for appraising these units.  I did use the information Gror provided regarding putting plates on the Bug.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 03:23:34 pm »
  Don't be surprised if you find someone from Quebec come knocking on your door wanting to look @ your old bomber!!! Ha Ha Ha

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2008, 05:26:03 am »
  Houlio I think if you were to contact someone with Bombardier in Quebec, letting them know exactly what you have for a machine, that they would be very interested to talk to you.
  It has the original motor,tires,trans,rad. I think that's what they call a ###'s matching unit. All original.
I think it's a very rare unit. I would have it checked out !! 
  Think about it, how many more are around like yours ? Even Cam's unit is beautiful, but it's not original like yours. 

Just my 2 cents worth.

Offline houlio

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2008, 11:40:10 pm »
Hey there OT - Do you know some one in specific that would be inteested in appraising these units? 

By the way I found someone that could read the date codes on the tires.  The tires on our unit are from 1945.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2008, 07:13:33 am »
  Houlio, my friend, check out the emails I sent to you on Nov.25/08 @ 07;25 & 10;37 pm. Also check the one I sent you on Nov. 20, @6;56 pm. Bombardier, on here, says he can help with your appraisal. I have his Email & phone # here if you need it. 
  If I can help anymore, you know how to get me. I can send those emails to you again if you need.

PS;;  Did you see those dvd's yet ???   What did you think ??   
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 07:17:09 am by the old trucker »