Author Topic: NEW MEMBER COMING SOON...  (Read 30116 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: NEW MEMBER COMING SOON...
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2013, 05:14:46 am »

Clyde I could get the measurements for you but I was thinking it might be better if Dan Shavers or someone gave them to you. There is a curved section that I don't know how to measure. You could give Dan Shavers a call & order one. That way you could get a better feel for fitment around the rim. They might be 2-3 dollars. I think he manufactures them. I hope this helps. His address is: 

Shaver & Sons Enterprises   
                          75054 Sturgeon Rd,
                          Stonewall, MB R0C 2Z0
                          Phone- 204-467-2605
                          Fax # -
                          Email - dan57@mts.net

Complete Parts & Manufacturing
                          for Bombardier Snow Bus
                          Service and Repairs

after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2013, 05:30:54 am »

Clyde here's a part of a email I got last night. I highlighted his question...He & others await your thoughts on it.

Looks like the engineer reinvented the wheel without looking at the bombardier. This can be corrected I'm sure.. The issue I'm most interested in is what the rim will be like when in slush conditions. It "might" collect more ice/snow then the smooth style. The excluder picture you posted was like the O.J. Simpson trial when the glove didn't fit. He gets it now.

This is not OJ... but.... OT.                                 

Offline CLYDE2GUIDE

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2013, 10:23:03 am »
O.T.,

Good Idea.  I met with Dan last week in Stonewall.  I will order one. 

In answer to the slush question; The only surface that could have a build up would be the horizontal or flat surfaces.  The Bombardier wheel actually has a larger flat surface than the aluminum wheel.  The webbing between gussets prevents the bridge build up of ice.  LMC used similar wheels for many years with no ice build up problems.  One other factor is that these wheels do not run cold.  There is enough heat generated to keep the ice from building up. 

By the way the webbing between the Gussets is 3/8 inch thick and at the gusset (spoke) it is 5/8 inch thick. 

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2013, 12:54:26 pm »

Just curious, how much difference in material & weight would it be to make an original bomber rim from aluminum ?? Are these rims turned from 1 solid piece of aluminum ??

Offline Walrus

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2013, 02:31:34 pm »
Good to see some action on here.

I've gotten most of the parts needed to get my motor up and running. Still need fuel pump which is on order. Also need 1 wire alternator. Next week is supposed to be brutally cold, below 0 every night so no work going to get done unless I decide to take carb off, maybe take tank out so I can clean it out. God that varnish stinks.

Think I'm going to wire the motor up temporarily with a toggle switch. still need to figure out starter motor.

The starter shouldn't run until I step on pedal, correct? As soon as key turns on (starter)motor starts to spin, push peddle all the way and motor turns over. I can't understand why motor(starter) spins once key is on.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2013, 04:43:55 pm »

Walrus it sounds like you have the old style setup that was in mine & alot of older trucks. I saw one in a 56 narrow. He turned the key on & push on the pedal & away she goes. My father had it on an old truck he had @ one time.
  I'm wondering if that pedal works with a rod or cable setup. Could it be sticking somewhere ?? Maybe a return spring broken, starter sticking. I like that old school thing & plan to hook up mine somehow like it some day.

OT.                                                                         

Offline CLYDE2GUIDE

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 05:49:45 pm »
O.T.,

The wheel is cast in a permanent steel mold.  When it comes out it weights 35lbs.  After machining it's weight is 23 lbs.  We did think about making it like the steel rim, but it would have weighed close to 30 lbs.  So we got the same or better strength with our current design. 

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2013, 10:12:01 am »
O.T.,

In answer to the slush question; The only surface that could have a build up would be the horizontal or flat surfaces.  The Bombardier wheel actually has a larger flat surface than the aluminum wheel.  The webbing between gussets prevents the bridge build up of ice.  LMC used similar wheels for many years with no ice build up problems.  One other factor is that these wheels do not run cold.  There is enough heat generated to keep the ice from building up. 

Clyde have you had anyone testing your rims on their bombardiers ? I personaly think your rim will gather more snow & slush than the bombardier wheel because of the gussets. I have rims that are 50 to 60 years old & once they were blasted, primed & painted, they will last me a long time.
   There was a fellow on here awhile back that made the original rim & sold them for $300.00 each. I don't know how good he did with sales, but they looked great & if they only lasted twenty yrs., that's the way I'd go.... 

Offline Walrus

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2013, 12:57:32 pm »

Walrus it sounds like you have the old style setup that was in mine & alot of older trucks. I saw one in a 56 narrow. He turned the key on & push on the pedal & away she goes. My father had it on an old truck he had @ one time.
  I'm wondering if that pedal works with a rod or cable setup. Could it be sticking somewhere ?? Maybe a return spring broken, starter sticking. I like that old school thing & plan to hook up mine somehow like it some day.

OT.                                                                         
I think it has some kind of linkage but I haven't looked to see if its a cable or a rod. I would guess rod.  I can actuate it from the engine compartment which is great.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2013, 02:36:43 pm »

Walrus I was thinking about hooking up a "monentary switch, like was in my trucks. You turn on the key & hit the button. Only thing I'd have to do is hook it up under my starter foot pedal. I like it old school...
                                                                                OT.  Gettin started again...

Offline fisher

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2013, 08:26:02 pm »
It's a steel rod that goes thru a pipe under the front floor boards to a set of forks on the starter at the back. That pipe under the floor boards probably needs heavy duty cleaning. You can also hook more springs to the linkage to pull it back. No starter solenoid to worry about this way is the biggest bonus.

Offline viking

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 05:39:34 pm »

CLYDE2GUIDE,

When the decision was made to produce a new rim, was there ever a consideration to make a 5 bolt rim pattern?

Gimli, where men are men and fish are scared!

Offline CLYDE2GUIDE

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2013, 06:15:25 pm »
Viking,

Yes it was considered.  But the majority of the potential customers were not considering a bolt on.  So we decided to go like the original.  We are considering a 12 inch wheel bolt on and a 13 inch bolt on.

Clyde2guide

Offline viking

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2013, 06:35:38 am »

CLYDE2GUIDE,

The current rim has clearly worked for decades. With high maintenance.
                              A bolt on upgrade could be the future. Hope you get there.

Gimli, where men are men and fish are scared!

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2013, 08:49:30 am »

Viking if you look up;  Classifieds Forums > For Sale - Vehicles > Don't know what to say., you'll see that SANDYBAY had a hub made up for his & uses crown vic rims & bomber tires.