Author Topic: NEW MEMBER COMING SOON...  (Read 30083 times)

Offline Walrus

• View Profile
Re: NEW MEMBER COMING SOON...
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 09:24:14 am »
J-8 will work and I think there is an rj12y.  the 12 is a hotter plug.     The part number for the fuel pump is Napa  M847.

Good luck!!
Thanks
My motor has about 4 different brand plugs in it, not sure which is right.
The fuel pump is ordered, no one close has one but they can get it.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 10:58:36 am »
  Clyde2guide, they are aluminum rims. They look like Snowtrac & Thiokol rims with all those ribs. The bombardier rims are steel. I see your tires are $163.50 & the rim is $499.00. I'm curious as to how they will stand up on a bomber...

The Old Trucker

Here is a pic of the aluminum rim & tire I talked about. I don't know if there is an aluminum hub cap that goes with it.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/16-inch-wheelsm__57258_thumb.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/alpinetire.jpg
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline CLYDE2GUIDE

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 12:11:27 pm »
The Old Trucker,

The Wheels are new and were specifically designed for the Snow Coach. The computer model tested at 30,000 lbs which is stronger than needed and they won't rust.   The tires are also designed for the snow coach.  They are a 6 ply with a pressure maximum capacity of 105 psi.  They have a recommended pressure of 70 psi but they seem to run well at 50 to 60 psi.  The tread design is three rib.  The reason for this is to help cool the tire.  The smooth tread design would be cheaper to build, but choice was to  improve on the application.  The bead area is also stronger than competition design with the sidewall more straight up and down.  This allows the tire to resist rolling over from side pressure.  Xanterra, the company that has the vender contract with Yellowstone Park and runs 28 of the coaches, has been running this tire since 1994.  They tell me that it cut replacement cost by 30 percent after two years and got even better as full replacement took place in subsequent years. You can see the tire on Alpine Guide Tire web site. alpineguidetire.com 

Clyde2Guide

Offline CLYDE2GUIDE

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 12:13:53 pm »
The old Trucker,

I failed to say that the tire size is 4.50-16 6 ply.

Clyde2Guice

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 03:59:20 pm »
  Clyde2Guide, do you make the threaded aluminum hubcap for the center or do the customer use the old metal ones ??

OT.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 04:20:27 pm by the old trucker »

Offline CLYDE2GUIDE

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 02:42:04 pm »
The Old Trucker,

The wheel is threaded and you can use the old cap.  The wheel can come with the bearing Buddy to fit this wheel.  Currently a new cap is being worked on and might be available in the not too distant future. 

Clyde2guide

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 03:12:26 pm »

I thank you for your quick response my friend. Please don't feel offended if I ask all kinds of questions. If I don't know about something I ask. That's how I learn. One other question, If I were to use the old metal cap on aluminum, would it have a reaction to each other ??

OT's at it again...   

Offline CLYDE2GUIDE

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 10:12:47 am »
OT,

You ask very good questions.  Your last question is interesting.  Electrolysis has been a problem in the past between metals.  More so back in the 40's and 50's.  I have not seen much problem in this direction for quite some time.  I believe the new aluminum formulas are much better.  In the long run it might be a problem especially if not kept clean.  It  would however take a long period of time.  This potential problem is why we are in the middle of creating our own cap. If I learn more, I will post it. 

clyde2guide

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 05:54:15 pm »
Another source for tires.... Sunvalley Tire in Winkler Manitoba.  They had a batch of 4.50 x 16 Goodyears for Bombardiers but are sold out at the moment.. can get more.  Call Ken @ 204 362 000 for details and pricing.  Met Ken today at Ag Days in Brandon.

Offline viking

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 05:02:08 am »

Clyde2Guide,

Is there a Manitoba Dealer for these new tires?
                         Does the backside of the new rim fit the existing excluder?
Gimli, where men are men and fish are scared!

Offline CLYDE2GUIDE

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 04:42:37 pm »
We currently do not have stocking dealers in Manitoba, though we have dealers that will order as needed.  Some of these are, OK tire in Morris, KK Penner with several stores in the area.  We can ship to you direct.  We do have distributors in Edmonton, and in Quebec who do stock the tires.  We ship a lot of product into Canada to other dealers and to end users.  You used the term "excluder".  I am not acquainted with that term.  I can say that the wheel has all of the steel wheel measurements.  The only difference would be the added thickness of the Aluminum that gives it the added strength the steel wheel does not have. 

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 05:08:26 pm »

Clyde2Guide,

Is there a Manitoba Dealer for these new tires?
                         Does the backside of the new rim fit the existing excluder?

Clyde I think he's referring to # 9 in my pic below. The rim would fit in between # 5 & 6. # 11 being the inside side of rim. You can see the spindle in the top right corner.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0661.jpg
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 05:10:44 pm by the old trucker »

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2013, 06:42:01 am »
Hey Old Trucker,

I decided to email you direct.  In working with Xanterra and Alpin Guide about the development of these wheels, I was never shown the excluder (so Called).  From your picture it shows a bushing or spacer that would butt up against the back side of the inside bearing to limit the inside movement of the wheel. (Most spindles have this machined into the spindle).  The back side seal goes over this spacer. The excluder evidently goes over this spacer as well.  It looks to be like a protector for the back side of the wheel to keep dirt away from the seal.  Am I correct?  If this is so, then the shape would not go over our hub.  What is your thinking on this? I don't see any real need for it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clyde that's right. The excluder's outer lip fits over the inner seal & the outside of the inner side of the rim to keep out the dirt... (What a tounge twister !) I stand to be corrected on this. I have the old style swing arms on mine, the newer ones have a different shape & don't use that spacer(#10).. I personaly will be useing the excluder on mine. If you look at Mike's 57 rebuild 1st page, reply # 2, first pic, you'll see the newer style I'm talking about. It still has the old excluder on it.
  When you made this aluminum rim did you have an old steel rim to use as a pattern ?? How thick is the aluminum between each of the 8 spokes ??

As I was saying I'm not the best on a computer.

OT.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2013, 06:44:33 pm »

Can anyone add some more advise to this ??? At least tell me if I am right or wrong...

OT.

Offline CLYDE2GUIDE

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2013, 10:25:51 pm »
O.T.

I don't think we would have any problem with a slight change to the machining.  Could you get me some measurements of the excluder.  It would help us to machine for it.  I appreciate what you wrote.  It will help us to make the wheel even better. 

Thnaks O.T.