Author Topic: What size v-8 to install?  (Read 9287 times)

Offline rackaholic

• View Profile
What size v-8 to install?
« on: March 08, 2007, 12:42:12 pm »
We want to put a v-8 motor in the narrow machine with a auto tranny. Alot of the bombadiers around here run 350 chevys.There is just not enough power to pull fish houses threw the deep snow with the 6cylinder(maybe old and tired)Any help or information would be great maybe someone has done this before.I am interested  in any suggestions!

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
Re: What size v-8 to install?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 03:44:32 pm »
Not much room for a V8 in there. Have seen a 460 Ford in one but it was a poor choice. The Tub had to be cut away on each side and it was still way too high for my liking. The centre of gravity was high enough to make it appear tippy. A lot of guys have opted for the 300 ci Ford in line 6 with the C6 Auto trans. It seems to be a pretty good fit and has lots of power. It is a bit longer but if you get the motor mounts in the right place you can stay clear of the firewall and still get the rad in place so the air door will close, but it is tight. I don't know of a brake that bolts to the C6 so you have to look at a dicc brake for the driveshaft at the differential. With the automatic a hyd brake is best anyway. The muffler also has to be made up. Just saw a stainless one built that goes out through the same hole as the Chrysler. Might have to make a new bracket for the alternator and change sides to get clearance at the fuel tank too. I'm not saying the V8 can't be done and maybe someone will come on here that has perfected the install. One other option is to go to the 265 flathead Chrysler out of a combine. That is what I have but I can't say that it is that much more power than a good 251. Anyway good luck with it....

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 04:26:38 pm »
Dan Shaver has just installed one in a modified metal narrow guage so if you are near Stonewall Manitoba you might want to go see what he did. It is a very nice installation apparently.

Offline rackaholic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 06:33:35 pm »
I was just wondering what would cause the motor when shifting from 2 to 3 to lose power(on the 251 6 cyl) and what kind of tranny (auto) will bolt up to it?

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 08:35:54 pm »
I was able to see that machine Dan Shaver made.  He brought it to the rally.  He took 2 wheels out and shrunk the body down, crammed a 350 Chev in with nice headers pointing up.  No drive shaft, bolted right to the diff from the tranny.  Very nice workmanship.  Pictures to come soon.  Goes to show you can do anything, just need lots of hours into it.
I also have a short video of him taking off.  Goes like hell!

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 04:18:24 am »
Cranman I was looking @ a couple of pics of KPM's bomber. He has a 302 Ford with a manual trans in his. Says there's room. Can you put a c 6 automatic with that? Maybe KPM can put a couple of close up pics on for us to see.
KPM do you still have the stock diff or is it changed? I read on the net that a 302 is 3" shorter & 2" narrower than a 351W. KPM said there's enough room to change the plugs on his.

Joke for all. What does Ford mean spelled backwards?  Drof ?;; driver returned on foot!! It's only a joke!!

What does Mopar stand for?  More old parts are recycled!!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 05:23:44 am by the old trucker »
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 05:05:33 am »
I was able to see that machine Dan Shaver made.  He brought it to the rally.  He took 2 wheels out and shrunk the body down, crammed a 350 Chev in with nice headers pointing up.  No drive shaft, bolted right to the diff from the tranny.  Very nice workmanship.  Pictures to come soon.  Goes to show you can do anything, just need lots of hours into it.
I also have a short video of him taking off.  Goes like hell!
Swamp Dwag do you have any pics of Dan's 350 motor install? I'd like to see them.

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 06:34:08 am »
Look under the Narrow gauge heading.  I made a topic there last year - Dan shavers machine.  Thats all I have for pictures.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 11:40:59 am »
Sorry Dwag, I thought you had more pics.

Offline super

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 08:38:56 am »
Cranman I was looking @ a couple of pics of KPM's bomber. He has a 302 Ford with a manual trans in his. Says there's room. Can you put a c 6 automatic with that? Maybe KPM can put a couple of close up pics on for us to see.
KPM do you still have the stock diff or is it changed? I read on the net that a 302 is 3" shorter & 2" narrower than a 351W. KPM said there's enough room to change the plugs on his.

Joke for all. What does Ford mean spelled backwards?  Drof ?;; driver returned on foot!! It's only a joke!!

What does Mopar stand for?  More old parts are recycled!!

agree there
you can use an old mustang motor 289 or 302, lots of torque there...as i remember from my old hot rodding days those engines were designed to fit in a small engine compartment, mustang, cougar, and they have a very narrow bank as compared to other V8 engines of that era

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 11:03:46 am »
.....the 289 302..ford v8's are the narrowest v8 engines made..will fit in the narrow,though tight,i've had both automatic and standard...seemed to work well........as for torque..the 300 ford inline six has more than the 302 or 289!!!!
                            kpm

Offline super

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 02:01:15 pm »
i think the 300 CI has a 7 main bearing crank too if I'm not mistaken

Offline super

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 06:06:52 pm »
Remember the old straight eights they used to put in cars up until the 40s, lol ?
shorten the drive shaft a little and you're there  ;)

even the V12 engines back in those days only put out 140 HP
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 05:08:44 pm by super »