Author Topic: 265 valve settings  (Read 8919 times)

Offline MRT

• View Profile
265 valve settings
« on: October 28, 2011, 01:35:24 pm »
i'm looking for the cold valve lash settings for my 265 dodge motor that i'm rebuilding
thats going in my 67 J5

Offline marcdds

• View Profile
Re: 265 valve settings
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 09:59:16 am »
check at vintage power wagon they can help u out

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 07:14:52 am »

MRT maybe this might help. I found it on the internet.    

Home   Cars   Trucks   Engines   Repairs   News   Chrysler Past   Upcoming Cars       

If you were a registered member with more than two posts, or subscriber, you would not see this ad!

Register for a free account or Sign in (normal, or with Facebook or OpenID)

There’s a whole world of Mopar you may have missed!

Visit the main allpar site now! It has repairs, history, racing, and more!
ADGRPID:|SERVTYPE:

Search Advanced
 This topicSearch section: This topic This forumForumsMembersHelp Files
  ForumList
 AllparForumsRegistrySubscriptionsMore 
.Allpar Forums for Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth, and more • Technical Support • General Technical Support & Help .
Welcome to Allpar Forums for Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth, and more
 Welcome to Allpar Forums for Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth, and more! You must register to post (and to view some forums), but this is a simple, free process. Register now or sign in!
•Use the collective knowledge of the community
•Start new topics and reply to others
•Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
•Get your own profile and make new friends
•Join us at our annual meets
•Customize your experience here
•Add events to our community calendar

Guest Message by DevFuse 

Valve Adjustment 251/265 Flat Head 6 Cyl
Started by Jay Goddard (converted), Dec 13 2004 at 08:47 pm

You cannot reply to this topicGo to first unread post3 replies to this topic .
#1 Jay Goddard (converted) 
Guests
Posted December 13, 2004 at 08:47 pm

What is the real way to adjust the valves on a flat head 6 cylinder motor? The Chilton's manual says to do it with the motor warm and running. How about cold and a sequence? Anyone? Thanks. Jay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2 Operator6 (converted) 
Guests
Posted December 13, 2004 at 11:01 pm

After doing the valves on my 230 Flathead I adjusted them cold in order to get it started, this may not be the recommended way but it worked....

1. Take a tape measure and starting at the mark on the front pulley measure the circumference of the pulley and divide the pulley in 3rds making a mark with white chalk at each third.

2. Bring the engine up on NR1 TDC which will have the valves on NR1 cylinder closed, set the clearance to specs on both valves, I added a little extra space to make up for it being cold

3. Now knowing the firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4 turn the engine to the next mark you made on the pulley, this should bring up NR5, set the valves, rotate the next mark to TDC and adjust NR3, rotate to next mark and adjust NR6, Next mark NR2, Next mark NR4. It would probably be a good idea to readjust them after the engine was warmed up but mine was running so good and I could hear the valves ticking a little, and the thought of messing around under the exhaust manifold wasn't too appealing that I just put the covers back on and I"ve not touched it since.....

Good Luck.....RB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#3 Jay Goddard (converted) 
Guests
Posted December 14, 2004 at 09:38 pm

Operator6, on Dec 13 2004, 09:01 PM, said:

After doing the valves on my 230 Flathead I adjusted them cold in order to get it started, this may not be the recommended way but it worked....

1.  Take a tape measure and starting at the mark on the front pulley measure the circumference of the pulley and divide the pulley in 3rds making a mark with white chalk at each third.

2.  Bring the engine up on NR1 TDC which will have the valves on NR1 cylinder closed,  set the clearance to specs on both valves,  I added a little extra space to make up for it being cold

3.  Now knowing the firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4 turn the engine to the next mark you made on the pulley,  this should bring up NR5,  set the valves,  rotate the next mark to TDC and adjust NR3,  rotate to next mark and adjust NR6,  Next mark NR2,  Next mark NR4.  It would probably be a good idea to readjust them after the engine was warmed up but mine was running so good and I could hear the valves ticking a little,  and the thought of messing around under the exhaust manifold wasn't too appealing that I just put  the covers back on and I"ve not touched it since.....

Good Luck.....RB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#4 Jay Goddard (converted) 
Guests
Posted December 14, 2004 at 09:41 pm

Operator6, on Dec 13 2004, 09:01 PM, said:

1.  Take a tape measure and starting at the mark on the front pulley measure the circumference of the pulley and divide the pulley in 3rds making a mark with white chalk at each third.

2.  Bring the engine up on NR1 TDC which will have the valves on NR1 cylinder closed,  set the clearance to specs on both valves,  I added a little extra space to make up for it being cold

3.  Now knowing the firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4 turn the engine to the next mark you made on the pulley,  this should bring up NR5,  set the valves,  rotate the next mark to TDC and adjust NR3,  rotate to next mark and adjust NR6,  Next mark NR2,  Next mark NR4.  It would probably be a good idea to readjust them after the engine was warmed up but mine was running so good and I could hear the valves ticking a little,  and the thought of messing around under the exhaust manifold wasn't too appealing that I just put  the covers back on and I"ve not touched it since.....

Good Luck.....RB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the information and help. I will try this method out tomarrow. Jay

Back to General Technical Support & Help · Next Unread Topic → .

Reply to quoted posts     Clear     

Home · Cars · Engines · Repairs · People
Car Reviews · Upcoming Models · News  Please read the terms of use and privacy policy. We make no guarantees regarding validity or applicability of information, opinions, or advice. Posts may be edited and used in other parts of allpar.com and affiliated Mopar (Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, etc) car related sites. We have the right to remove or modify any message, and to ban or suspend any user without notice. Logos and site-specific information copyright © 2001-2011 Allpar LLC; Chrysler PR materials remain property of Chrysler Group.

Allpar Forums for Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Plymouth, and more→ Technical Support→ General Technical Support & HelpForum Guidelines ..

Allpar ClubsAllpar News and Rumors ForumDaveAllpar StaffForums Export
 Mark Community Read
Forums Mark all as read Help Community Forum Software by IP.Board
Licensed to: allpar.com (via Allpar, LLC)
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 09:57:37 am »
I seem to recall they were 10 I and 12 Ex cold but that should be checked in the Chry Ind manual. Ted Playford and others have told me they set them 2 thou looser when using in commercial fishing bombardiers, where they often run hotter and harder than in autos and trucks. He said they specified this to rebuilders and had no more burnt valves.

Offline MRT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 10:10:15 am »
when i set the valves i still had the head off to find TDS and i set them at .010 in .012 ex   

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 03:54:11 pm »
I think that will be good. The J5 is lighter and the engine should run cooler than a bombardier with a ton of fish in it. I always found the j5's adequately powered by the 251's so a tight 265 will be even better.