Author Topic: Woody diff.....  (Read 9817 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Woody diff.....
« on: May 09, 2011, 08:04:30 am »

Any differentials around for a woody with 4.11 gears in working condition ?? I need the spider gears. Will take the whole carrier if right one.

The Old Trucker
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: Woody diff.....
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 12:48:33 pm »

A friend of mine will be flying to Edmonton, AB. on the 21st & driving back a pickup. Now would be my chance to get that diff bought down. KPM, Grfishmaker,  anyone know for anything up there ??
  It would also be nice to buy a sprocket for the old woody.

Offline orin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 03:24:46 pm »
Very hard to find around here too, OT. Your best bet might be to get a more common one cut to fit your bomber, thats what i'll be getting done sometime this summer i hope.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 06:06:02 pm »

Thanks for the input Orin. I can get a couple of diffs here. They are in half ton pickups. They are like this one in KPM's...The local machine shop says they can narrow up the housing & axles for me. 

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/KPM1226.jpg

In the pic below the front diff came from a metal bomber. If I use that, I will have to change sprockets.
The diff in back is my original.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0998.jpg

In this pic all I have to do is get a round flat hub turned, drilled & welded to the end of the axle to accept my sprockets. Sound about right ??????  I am open to be corrected.

OT.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT1004.jpg

Offline orin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 06:32:30 pm »
can you use the alum. sprocket on your narrow?? i got a set from a wide woody and tried to put them on mine, but they didn't line up with the tires, so had to put the cast ones back on.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 06:41:55 pm »

On my machine there is a cast sprocket & an aluminum one. When I go to get the axle narrowed, I'll bring my old diff so they have a measurement to go by.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 07:47:50 am »
can you use the alum. sprocket on your narrow?? i got a set from a wide woody and tried to put them on mine, but they didn't line up with the tires, so had to put the cast ones back on.

Orin are you saying that the aluminum sprockets are different than the cast ones & the wide gauge ones are different than the narrow ???

Offline orin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 09:41:23 am »
yeah, i forget if they stick out too much or they sit too far in, in your pic you have the alum one on backwards (inside out) maybe it will work that way??  measure from the outside of the sprocket to where the U-bolt goes threw the deff, should be the same on both sides.

Offline orin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 10:07:54 am »

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 11:13:37 am »

Orin that is the way they were when I got the bomber. I noticed the other woody's are the same way. Any aluminum or cast sprockets for sale up your way ???
                                                                                          OT.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 10:46:40 pm »
Mine are on like yours too OT. I think Ted told me they were wide guage reversed and they line up fine. He is away for a few weeks so I can't ask him. Too bad you are having such a hard time finding a diff. I thought there would be some early 50's car difffs somewhere in your neck of the woods.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 03:34:39 am »

Sorry Cranman.... I may be able to get a diff from a 46 Power wagon but I"m thinking their geared in the 5.??? area. Then there is that 56 Desoto here that I'm waiting for the weather to dry up to get in & have a look at.... If it's not restored, it's gone for scrap.

OT.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 07:22:25 pm »
I don't think the power wagon will be the same and I believe you have to be earlier than 54 Chrysler car or so to get the right spline.

Offline orin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 10:28:09 pm »
Good to know that the sprockets can be flipped over and will work, so your good for sprockets O.T. , or do you still need one?

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 03:44:57 am »

I have two good sprockets as long as it don't hurt to have an aluminum one on one side & a cast one on the other. If you have one for sale I may be interested. Thanks Orin.....

OT.