Author Topic: air locker  (Read 13282 times)

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
Re: air locker
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 07:26:03 pm »
What vehicles have a dana 44?  It looks like the dana may be easier to get different gearing and different types of locks or limited slip.  There is another diff lock made by Ox.  This locker uses a cable to shift in/out.   Might be better than the air locker for air leakes etc.
D. Paulson

I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 04:38:58 am »

Boys....here is a clip of durability of two different lockers. Thought you might like to see it.

http://youtu.be/Z0WssPvl1Xc

after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 07:53:59 am »
Pulled the differential out today.  It is a Chrysler 8 3/4".  with 4.1 gears, so adding 20% I should need about a 4.89.  I cannot find a diff lock for it, so I may look for a different diff. that I can get a locker for. Any suggestions of what I should look for?

Dave would your 4.11 gears fit in my case ??? Cranman think this would work. Dave if you go with something else, would you consider selling the carrier if it fits in my diff case ?????? I have a friend driving home from Edmondton soon. Below are a couple of pics of my diff.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/DSCF0393.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/DSCF0403.jpg

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 08:01:34 am »
It looks really close, but mine axles have 30 splines.  There are 3 types of Chrysler 8.75.  Mine is the 741 casting, using a 1-3/8 dia pinion. There is a 742 and a 489 case which have different dia pinions.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 09:28:32 am by dpaulson »
D. Paulson

Offline bigbud

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 11:04:50 am »
the dana 60 is a good diff for bombers,tough as nails,if possible get a full float, in regards to other lockers and posi traks they are junk,seen them blow up to many times,centrifugal posi s dont stand up  the air locker can use a stainless steel braided line so it wont leak if installed correctly. the dana 44 is just to small for the bombers

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 10:03:58 am »
the dana 60 posi...gear 4.56....in the 71 wide was real good...had stock 318 ind with 3 spd std.
....little hard to turn on a slick road(wants to go straight)...though once on the lake or pack trail steers fine..
              kpm

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 07:49:48 am »

Dave I picked up my old diff parts yesterday & was talking about (the 59 New Build) bomber. Glen has rebuilt a V6 that is posted in his rebuild. He has 4.88 gears & thinks they are too slow. After talking to the fellow that was doing his diff, he suggested that Glen use an overdrive transmission. He says in drive it will be 1 to 1 ratio & overdrive is there when he wants to use it.
   I don't understand much about it but it sounds like it may be a good setup. For me he said to get an AOD trans with the flywheel out of a Ford Crown Vic. It should bolt to my 300 Ford. I don't know of this will be any help for you.

OT.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 08:19:54 am »
the overdrive trannys will not hold up in a bombardier....for any of the 3 speed automatics a shift kit is a strong IMPROVEMENT!!
                                    KPM

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 08:28:23 am »
I have thought the 350 motor/ transmission in my old 93 chevy 1/2 would be a good combination. 350 have good horsepower and the 4 spd auto with od would give you that option when your on a good hard pack road.  I just didn't want to go that route just yet being that my 318 and 727 tranny are pretty good.  Maybe the 4.56 gears are alright in an industrial engine ( I understand that they have better low end torque), but I believe that my 318 came out of a 1/2 ton truck and it needs some rpm's to produce horsepower.  I ran across a horsepower curve chart once (I haven't been able to find it since) and if I remember the hp at 2500 rpm is 120-130. Peek Hp (230) is at 4400 rpm.  When breaking trail, I'm lucky to get 2500 rpm, and will pull down to 2000.  Under 2000 rpm it really pulls down fast then  where I need to shift to first gear.  I can get all kinds on rpm in 1st gear, but speed is too slow that I rub snow along the belly pan which is getting close to being hung up and stuck.
D. Paulson

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 01:13:02 pm »
the overdrive trannys will not hold up in a bombardier....for any of the 3 speed automatics a shift kit is a strong IMPROVEMENT!!
                                    KPM

So....Kpm do I have a good combination in my machine ??? It's a 300 6 cylinder Ford with a C6 trans. the original diff is 4.11. I know very little about this... That's why I ask.

OT.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 02:23:33 pm »
OT..the 300 ford is know for it's durability and low end torque...the c6..is one of the strongest trannys,if not the strongest ...tranny ford built....the 4.11 gears ...with this combination in your wooden should provide lots of power,and a top end speed of about 40 miles an hour...
                       kpm

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 02:46:56 pm »

Thanks KPM. At least it sounds like I'm doing something right.   

OT.

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 03:46:59 pm »
I agree with KPM.  The 300 puts out 170hp at 3800 rpm.  The wooden machines weigh only 3400 lbs and having the same track and ski area as my r18 at 4600 lbs is a big advantage that you have.
D. Paulson