Author Topic: air locker  (Read 13257 times)

Offline bigbud

• View Profile
air locker
« on: May 08, 2011, 12:02:39 am »
has any one ever put an air locker in their differrential in a bombadier,and did it work in the cold weather?

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: air locker
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 04:07:48 am »

Bigbud I think it would work OK as long as you want go straight. I guess you'd have to squeeze a compressor in the engine area to run off the motor. Some big trucks have a four wheel lockup system that work good. Only problem I think you'll have is justifying the cost for the amount of time you'll use it. Are there different models for different diffs ??
                                                                                      OT.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 12:50:52 pm »
I was doing some reading and it seems that may not shift until the diff oil is warmed up.  Possibly the use of synthetic oil would be beneficial.  I have to pull my diff out to change pinion and ring gear to a different ratio anyway as well as new seals and bearings.  It would be the time to try it if I decide.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 02:57:10 pm by dpaulson »
D. Paulson

I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 06:55:50 pm »

Dave what gears are in it now & is it a stock diff ? Thinking about putting in 3:90 or 4:11 ??

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 08:01:58 pm »
A ford 9" was installed in it prior to me purchasing it. I'm missing about 20% in rpm's.  I'm thinking that it's about 3.5. I haven't pull it out yet.  I haven't decided what I should put in yet.  I can either get 4.11 or 4.30 or a 4.56.  I was told that factory gearing in those years was 4.11 and later years were 4.56.  I don't know if  the 4.56 came out when the 318 auto was standard issue or not.  KPM had a bomber with posi and he said that it was real good so I'm thinking that  the air locker diff could be the ticket.
D. Paulson

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 07:40:19 am »

Dave I have a diff from a metal bomber that looks stock. I had it apart & it has 4.89's in it. Mike's 57 has the same gears in his. We have 3 other diffs from metal bombers that are original but never had them apart yet.
  My diff has stock 4.11's in it. I always thought the metal bombers came stock with the 4.89's. I know I can't put the diff from a metal bomber in my woody without changing the sprockets. Maybe someone can straighten us out.
                                                                       OT.

Offline bigbud

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 12:28:19 pm »
what does it matter if it s a stock diff? mine has a dana 60 semi float with 456s,seems to be geared nice,more of a puller than a racer,tons of torque,.  the air locker (arb) operates between 80-110 psi so cold diff might be an issue.will crown and pinion from dana 60 semi float fit in to a dana 60 full float.will be putting the full float in this summer.i think the 489s would be to low,411s would be nice if you dont pull huge loads. the compressor is very small it will fit in the front or floor.the locker lets you choose between locked diff or unlocked diff by flipping a switch,so not turning is not an issue ..

Offline bigbud

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 12:32:23 pm »
the compressor is a 12 volt electric ,so i dont need to hook a compressor to the engine,ARB makes air lockers for almost every diff made-check out their website   arbairlocker   

Offline bigbud

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 12:36:58 pm »
i use my bomber for winter fishing ,so its a tax write off,if the locker saves me from walking home once,then it paid for itself. it will cost 1200 for the air locker.approx

Offline bigbud

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 12:49:32 pm »
dave ,did you check oxbow tire for a price on the locker.they are very reasonable,if you find a good price let me know

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 12:58:14 pm »
Will do.
D. Paulson

Offline bigbud

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 12:38:14 pm »
hey dave what do you have for an engine,tranny.

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 12:51:09 pm »
I have a 318 with 727 auto.  It goes good down a packed snowmobile trail, but it really struggles going across fields.  I'm hoping to change that for next winter.
D. Paulson

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 07:42:45 pm »
Hey Bigbud,  do you have a tach and speedo in yours?  What kind of rpm do you get at 25 mph?
D. Paulson

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 04:31:34 pm »
Pulled the differential out today.  It is a Chrysler 8 3/4".  with 4.1 gears, so adding 20% I should need about a 4.89.  I cannot find a diff lock for it, so I may look for a different diff. that I can get a locker for. Any suggestions of what I should look for?
D. Paulson