Author Topic: Engine part No's for 251 cu in Chrysler  (Read 12518 times)

Offline BIGDAVE

• View Profile
Re: Engine part No's for 251 cu in Chrysler
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 08:38:48 pm »
I was looking for old parts numbers and diagrams and found Mitchell motor parts has old blowups of the whole Chrysler drive train.  www.mmpar.com     BIGDAVE

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 11:33:54 am »
Regarding the fuel pump #, there are likely two versions. The origional equipment pump on my machine was equipped with a glass  sediment bowl, and the one I used as a replacement did not have this feature.  I can't imagine being able to empty and replace the bowl anyway, it's almost impossible to  get at, even in a warm shop. But out on the trail ???  I put an inline filter in the fuel line where I can get at it.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 06:15:52 pm »
We used to use a 1/8 pipe nipple to move the glass filter up to the carb and then we would get a metal bowl to replace the glass. That service door for the fuel pump can let in enough snow to cause an overheated glass bowl to break so we never took the chance. What a hell of a thing to get at. I run a removable filter just off the tank, then go down to a 12v Bendix tucked in between the tank and back fender. Then I go to the fuel pump and back up to the metal bowl filter at the carb. I only use the 12v at cold start up, and when I get vapour lock on hot running days. Because there is always the chance of a broken diaphram in the mechanical fuel pump, I carry a fitting, snap tied to the carb so I can go 12v direct without sewering the crankcase with gas. I have a metal deflector that shields some of the heat from the manifold on the fuel pump, but in tough going in spring I still get problems some time. As a rule, the newer your fuel pump the less problems with vapour lock.