Author Topic: Engine part No's for 251 cu in Chrysler  (Read 12494 times)

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
Engine part No's for 251 cu in Chrysler
« on: February 25, 2007, 11:59:34 am »
This is a list of NAPA part #"s as apply to a 1951 B-12

Carb kit for Carter Carb Model 6EI E7TI - Kit # 2-5066A
Points for IBT Distributor - CS723A  (Mid 50's)
Points for IGS Distributor - CS 719A (Early 50's)
Condensor for either  AL868
Fuel Pump - 588
Fan Belt - 25-24489
Thermostat - 195 degree -33039S
Water Pump - P46
I bought all of the above, some I installed and the rest I put away for future use. When the old partsmen are all gone we likely won't be able to find this information and probabaly the parts will be obsolete.
Thanks to Jack at NAPA in Brandon for all his help with this....

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
Re: Engine part No's for 251 cu in Chrysler
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 05:12:45 pm »
Good Info!  I'll make sure this topic stays here.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 09:44:39 pm »
That's great. Even those of us that aren't near to NAPA can use those to cross reference. The 195 thermostat might be a bit high for the old flat head but if your rad is in good shape and can handle a 14 lb rad cap I suppose it will be ok. Good info....

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 05:26:04 am »
Good point Cranman, I was thinking more of heater output... I haven't installed the thermostst yet but will watch it closely when I do..
Thanks again, Clarence

Offline rackaholic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 06:36:03 pm »
Ok guys i need your help.The motor has no power in 3rd gear.Runs great in 1st and 2nd.I was wondering if anyone had a manual for the 251?I was told maybe points or the distributer(something to do with the wieghts not working properly)As you can tell I am not a motor guy .I would prefer to try and fix this motor than replace it.

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 03:57:39 am »
It is possible that the weights in the advance mechanism in the distributor are stuck but I would'nt bet on it.  If it runs fine in 1st and 2nd and you're in deep snow those engines just don't have the power to run in high gear. Mine won't either after our last big snowfall. Try it out on an old well packed track and see if it will run up to 50 mph in 3rd there. If it will theres likely not much wrong with the motor. If it won't then you have a problem.  I don't have a motor manual but am looking for one and will post specs if I do find one. Only rated at 115 hp, thats why others are trying to shoehorn V-8's into them..........

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 10:59:38 am »
A good tune up sometimes makes a lot of difference in the power of these old girls. They have fairly good torque at low RPM for their horsepower. I'd get all the tune up parts from NAPA as per the part numbers posted earlier in this thread and a new set of Champion J-8 plugs. In GENERAL ELECTRICAL I gave my version of the tune up procedure which is fairly straight forward on these.
If your timing is too retarded you lose a lot of power and your exhaust manifold will be very hot. I've seen them cherry red at night. The rotation of your rotor should be clockwise as you look at it. So go anticlock to advance and more clockwise to retard. In heavy snow with mine I keep it so I can just hear some pinging from the engine as I push the accelerator down for more power. Too much advance is hard on valves. Not enough makles her a gutless gas guzzler. Hope this helps.

Offline rackaholic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 09:02:57 pm »
Is there a automatic tranny that will bolt up to the 251? Also where might I find the serial numbers on the motor?We are still trying to figure what year it is.We are thinking it is the longblock 6cylinder.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 09:51:08 pm by rackaholic »

Offline rackaholic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 09:57:54 pm »
I have looked at some old chilton manuals and they show a vacum advance on the distibuter (flathead 6 cyl) and there isn't one on this motor I was wondering if anyone else has vacum advance on thier motor and if so why would they have removed this ???Don't you need the advance to give the motor more power when it's under load?I'm grateful for all the help! I figure the only stupid question is one that's not asked.

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 07:49:14 am »
I believe the Chrysler Industrials never had a vacuum advance as they were designed for a steady load at rated RPM as used in tractors, combines, etc. Your Chilton manual will be for automotive applications. The timing could be different for the automotive and industrial version and just may be at the root of your problem if set to auto specs.... I'm not sure on this..... I see no reason why an automotive distributor with vacuum advance couldn't be swapped in to replace the origional.   Maybe we are on to something here ! Anyone else have ideas on distributor swapping for better performance ?
Clarence

Offline rackaholic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 10:55:26 am »
Thanks Clarence! So I guess I need to search industrial motors to try and find a manual. I just figured they were the same as the automotive engines from the 40's&50's they look the same.I think if you were to switch the distibuter to vacum advance you will need a carb that has this hook up.I wonder if it would work?Maybe someone else has input.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 07:05:59 pm »
 Hey  Rackaholic, a friend of mine just bought a 57 with the 251 in it. He heard that you can change it to an electronic distributor. He will let me know what happens. Would there be any advantage to doing that if it can be done ???
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 05:09:28 pm »
When changing oil in my 1951  machine with the Chrysler 251 I found that the oil filter that came with it was a NAPA #1076 but it didn't look right to me. The diameter was small for the cannister and the holes in either end too large so there was no sealing action there.   .  I did some research at NAPA and found  NAPA#1010 fits properly although the big gasket was too small so I reused the old one.  I had to unbolt the gas tank to install this filter, probabaly why the other filter was used as it will go in without doing this.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 12:58:16 am »
Kralinator L777 I believe will fit the old type cartridge filter. The pressure line filters on some Industrials were different though.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 01:57:33 pm »
This is Averyman's post

This is a list of NAPA part #"s as apply to a 1951 B-12

Carb kit for Carter Carb Model 6EI E7TI - Kit # 2-5066A
Points for IBT Distributor - CS723A  (Mid 50's)
Points for IGS Distributor - CS 719A (Early 50's)
Condensor for either  AL868
Fuel Pump - 588
Fan Belt - 25-24489
Thermostat - 195 degree -33039S
Water Pump - P46
I bought all of the above, some I installed and the rest I put away for future use. When the old partsmen are all gone we likely won't be able to find this information and probabaly the parts will be obsolete.
Thanks to Jack at NAPA in Brandon for all his help with this....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
   Averyman I called NAPA down here looking for a water pump & fuel pump for the 251. I gave him the #'s you have listed  & they show P46 as a toggle switch. When I gave them the # 588 for the fuel pump their screen showed as a plug.
  So then I called Jack @ NAPA & told my problem. He told me the water pump # is right, but it's a Autoline part #. He said the # for the fuel pump should be 588 N. NAPA down here don't carry all the same parts brands as up your way. But I found a local parts shop that stock them.
  Just thought I'd add this for people in different areas of the country. It's like you said Averyman about when the old parts men are gone. 
                                                                                                                                 OT.

after covering a few acres of prime real estate.