Author Topic: Wiring systems  (Read 9194 times)

Offline FORD F-150

• View Profile
Wiring systems
« on: February 08, 2011, 10:08:38 pm »
Hey all hoping for people to post some pictures here.

does anyone know or have an idea on doing a wiring system with the wiring harness up front to have a really neat and tidy way for the wires not to look like they are all over the place, also to have fuses added in just incase something is grounding and burns the fuse and not the part and will be easy to see what it is and trace it down to see where and what it is coming from, and i want to add some accessories like better and brighter lighting (inside and outside), CB radio, and some other items that could become handy while out in the wilderness. i just want to see what you guys can round up with and see how well they work before starting on re-wiring.

thanks guys
FORD F-150

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: Wiring systems
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 07:42:00 am »
   I plan on installing a "bus bar" in front. That is the main power panel (copper strip) that is powered from the battery, in older Freightliner trucks. There are holes drilled on the side that circuit breakers are attached to. All I have to do then is power up each individual item.
  I will also run a (seven way wire) from the front to the back attached to a junction box for my gauges, tail lights, & backup lamps. I will run a 4-5 way wire also in case I want to run something else. I have my utility trailer wired to a junction box. Each light is wired directly to that box. If I have trouble with either light, it's just a matter of tracing it back.  Works for me.

LESS JOINS..... LESS TROUBLES.... HAPPIER BOMBARDIERS.                                                                            OT.  

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:19:16 am by the old trucker »
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline FORD F-150

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 11:15:47 am »
well said well said, less joins less troubles happier bombardiers i believe that is true totally agree with you  :D i am hoping to see some pictures of your bomber once you are done with your wiring to see how it is going and how it is set up. Thanks OT

FORD F-150

Offline FORD F-150

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 09:21:04 pm »
any updated pictures of wiring systems? because i am trying to figure out what gauge wires to use or what is the easiest set up is to re-do the 78

FORD F-150

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 05:52:04 am »

Sorry F-150, no pics or updates. I can't seem to put myself in gear to get things going again. I think I have CP Syndrome, ( couch potato ). I plan to use a seven (7) way wire for mine. I think a couple of boys are using it now. You know the cord that curly cord that connects truck to trailer on the big trucks. It has (6) 12 gauge wires plus (1) 10 gauge wire & it's encased in rubber about 3/4" diameter. It can be bought straight up to whatever length you want. I will put 1 junction box by the motor & another one up under the dash area.
  Look up Trucklite.com & look for # 97151. It shows the curly cord, to give you an idea what I'm talking about. The # for the junction box is 1321. I hope this helps.

OT.       

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 10:34:54 am »

F-150 here is a pic of the wire like I was talking about. This one is from Grote. You should be able to buy this stuff from truck parts stores or truck repair shops...
   The two big companies for this stuff are Grote.com & Trucklite.com

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/-1881370450474B7215.png

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 10:41:36 am »

AMP TRAMP, I can buy this wire with 6-12 gauge & 1-10 gauge or

6-14 gauge & 1- 12 gauge. Would either be OK to use on these bombers ?? Any better ideas ??    OT.

Offline FORD F-150

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 12:00:38 am »
trucklite.com has really good products, and grote.com has good info. thanks OT

FORD F-150

Offline fisher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 11:38:17 am »
Need to redo the wiring on my wide gauge. All original wire right now looks like. Just started drawing a picture with all items needing power and approx. location (front/back) to get an idea how many wires and what the load on them will be. Gonna go with 1 fused main power going to the front with a bar and seperate fuses for each item.
Fuel gauge still works,  1
ammeter                     2
ignition start solenoid   3
            run   coil etc.   4
temp gauge                5
oil pressure gauge       6
tail lights                    7
horn                          8
main power back>front 9

That is  what I came up with for # of wires needed in the main harness front>back then go from the main at the front to what ever is needed. I was thinking about a fuse block out of a truck all #s on it and items labeled on the cover. Just a thought right now.
If that makes any sense let me know. Every thing is in the planning stages for now anyway.   

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 02:53:59 pm »

Fisher that fuse block sounds like a good idea. I have never seen the back of one though. I assume you have a heavy wire from the battery going to it...
                                                                      OT.

Offline fisher

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 03:40:23 pm »
still in the drawing stages but it will be all new by next fall (wiring)
old wires got pretty hot when key was on found the short tho and everything worked after except it overcharged
seperate voltage regulator on the old girl so i'll just change it and go with existing alternator for now 

Offline sav_x69

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 03:56:25 pm »
I ran a cable with 4 #12awg , 1 #8 awg  and 2 #10awg    I used the #10 awg for ign power and start solinoid,the #8 awg for acc power ran through the ammeter then to a fuse box and the #12awg from  gauges to senders and  rear lights.  gauge draw is minimal so I powered the gauge itself from ign  and the gauge lights from lights.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 03:58:07 pm by sav_x69 »

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 10:15:53 am »
.....Neil if you take your alt in to Wade at interlake he can convert it to a 1 wire alt...saving you some wires and a lot of headache(does not matter what breed of alt and the price is fair)
                                                      kpm