Author Topic: Happy New Years  (Read 10624 times)

Offline kpm

• View Profile
Re: Happy New Years
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 09:10:24 pm »
...might be piston valve ring..or head gasket trouble...the 302's are usually pretty tough.
                                                              kpm

Offline LT

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 09:40:21 pm »
So can a guy do a rebuild in frame or is it easier to pull the engine?   Have never pulled the engine out before, is there a simple way at all to pull this?   or can I access the oil pan from the bottom?

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 08:28:24 am »
...you will have to pull the motor and transmission....it's alot of work....well it's out you might want to check the motor mounts..make sure they were fabricated correct...also it's a good time to have the rad done..new water pump..fuel pump..starter..plugs...block heater...exhaust dounuts...change tranny oil and filter....ect..
                          kpm

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 08:44:10 am »

And don't forget to change the FROST PLUGS. Their only 2 bucks apiece...Mine were rotten...
                         OT.

after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline LT

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 10:17:48 am »
Thanks OT and KPM....so what is the easiest way to pull the engine...is there room to pull it rearward by removing the rad etc?   Will it fit through there or do you need to remove it through one of the side doors?

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 05:42:04 pm »
lol..well i 've never taken one out through the side yet,...it will have to come out the back.put new u=joints too...or trailor it over here...you have the other one to use now.
                                                                  kpm

Offline LT

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 06:40:36 pm »
thanks for the info and the offer.   We pulled the heads and as we suspected, the head gasket was shot.   Apparently whomever rebuild this before we got it, never torqued the head bolts.  Some were finger tight???   So the heads are out and off to get planed, and may as well redo valves and seats at the same time.   Should be running hopefully in a couple of days.   

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 10:38:53 pm »
...make sure to change oil and filter..bearings dont care for antifreeze
                                       kpm

Offline LT

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 03:33:03 pm »
ya most definitely....thanks...hopefully the bearings will be ok....I know I had that concern and heck with my luck, you know what will happen...put the heads back on get it running and spin abottom bearing LOL...

Offline LT

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2011, 08:47:40 pm »
Well - we finally found the issue with the engine.  We popped one head to check and found a blown head gasket.  So took off the other head to inspect and found a cracked head.  Had lots of fun trying to find a 302 head.   Finally found one that would match and rebuildt them both.   Installed new push rods while we were at it, new plusg, wires, coil, rbuilt the carb and installed electronic ignition.   Walls look good and rings seemed fine.     Went for a spin and wow nice to have 8 cylinders firing now!!    Seems to have lots of power now.   So we are back on the trails