Author Topic: Happy New Years  (Read 10651 times)

Offline LT

• View Profile
Happy New Years
« on: January 01, 2011, 09:19:26 pm »
Finally went for a ride today.   Took a couple of newbies for a tour around the city.   I have a Ford 302 in my wide gauge, but seems to be lacking power.   I think my pvc is plugged as seems to be spitting a little oil.   Has anyone installed a new style fule injected engine in a wide gauge yet?   Or any suggestions for which engine would be better.   

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i467/LTH111/BLUEBOMB.jpg

Offline fisher

• View Profile
Re: Happy New Years
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 01:42:11 am »
The old man originally switched to a 302 and had same problems. Changed up to a 351 windsor 2 barrel carb. Plenty of power and it's the same block. Just make sure the rad is as big as possible and nice and clean. Works real good with a c-4 tranny too.

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 03:02:46 pm »
Happy New Year Larry,
Great looking machine you have there. I get a few guys at my shop saying "Larry in Yorkton got one'.  Your fairly well known. That's a good thing when selling farm equipment.  I think the metals would have really bad performance with the original 251- 6 banger.  I have the 318 2v in mine and find that it needs more when braking a fresh trail across a field.  I think I may look for a intake and 4v carb for it next summer.  Maybe a cam also.
D. Paulson

I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken

Offline LT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 03:08:37 pm »
Hi....so where is your shop Dpaulson?    Ya..just changed fule filters in it and pvc.   Seems to be working a bit better.   I changed it up to an electronic ignition last year as I was tired of points!    Need to change plug wires.   

And your 318 you say needs a bit more power when braking trail.   Thats what I am finding.   I think it is simply a weight issue.   Drove accross the scales yesterday and it weighs in at 2150 kgs...

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 04:32:32 pm »
My shop is 3/4 m south of Wadena on Hwy 35.
D. Paulson

Offline granpasboy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 12:41:32 pm »
I still have the 251 6banger in my woody, it works quite hard and is very thirsty, when breaking a new trail. I would really like to put a Vortec small Chevy with the injection on it, but I hate to modify the mine that much right now.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 05:05:46 pm »

Here's a Chevy V6 (1996) that Glen (Glen's 59 new build) is using for a pattern in his build. He has clearance all around. Only problem he thinks is he'll have to make headers pointing up & back. The stock ones spread out too much.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0884.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0882.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0881.jpg

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/PICT0875.jpg
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline marcdds

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 05:10:01 pm »
hy guys try slidders work great dont need as much power breaking trail

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 05:45:01 pm »
Hi Marc

What type of slide suspension work the best?  I've seen with either the center 2 wheels replaced, or the front 3 wheels replaced.
D. Paulson

Offline marcdds

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 07:21:17 pm »
in my books 3 wheel work the best we know that the solid one works great the semi articulated one should work as good but a little better ride

Offline LT

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 08:26:05 pm »
Where can I find out some more information on the slider system - pics???

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 09:31:11 pm »
There is some pics here.  http://www.northerntracks.com/forum/index.php?topic=283.0  I think it is more done in Quebec where the snowfall is generally greater than it is on the praries here.  You are supposed to go through much deeper snow also.  I think that the cleats should provide plenty of lubrication for the slides anywhere that you would have enough snow for decent steering.  For myself being a newbie, I'm going to stick to tires for this year, but I would like to try sliders  next winter.  I'm still working the kinks out yet.  I gotta pull the tranny as I have a seal leaking on the converter side.
D. Paulson

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 06:51:16 pm »
I had since tightened up my tracks and performance is better.  Loose tracks seem to rob some  hp if allowed to ride up on the drive sprockets. I had read the proper tightness is to be able to lift the track 2" with about 50 lbs force.
D. Paulson

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 08:12:11 pm »
..2 to 3 inches above the second tire from the front ...seems to work..
      kpm

Offline LT

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 11:02:10 am »
Well...went to tune up the 302...as it was missing a bit and lacked some power.   Changed plugs, then wires, fuel filters and then cleaned the carb.   Thought that would do the trick.  Ran a bit better but not great.  Pulled the plug wires on # 2 and 3 and found they were not firing.  Rotor was ok as was the cap so they were getting spark.  Ran compression on #3 and nothing.   #2 was low...so thought either a broken rocker or I am suspecting a leaking head gasket between these 2 cylinders.  Pulled valve cover and rocker arms are fine.   Tomorrow we will pull the head and see if we are any wiser.   Hope we don't see cylinder detonation.   So much for going for a ride today!!