Author Topic: Averyman's Bombardier Pictures  (Read 7411 times)

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
Re: Averyman's Bombardier Pictures
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 06:02:44 am »
The above pictures were taken after a nice run on Sunday, Feb. 18th. Snow is quite deep here, in some fields where the stubble is cut high we were forced to downshift at times. The machine is a 1951 B-12 model with just over 9000 miles on it. We haven't yet decided whether to refinish the exterior wood or leave it origional. I was amazed to find a frostshield for the windshield yesterday at C T Enterprises here in Brandon.  Thanks to Swamp Dawg for posting the pictures for me..... Clarence

Offline rackaholic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 08:27:31 pm »
I was wondering if I could get a close up picture of the ski support bracket and the steering arm assembly?I think I have a 52 (plate on engine is gone)I am rebuilding the front end someone modified it and I just want to get back to  the way it should be.Also having a problem with the ski's toeing out any help would be great . Thanks

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 09:00:45 pm »
With a few details I think we can narrow down the year of manufacture for you. Are the doors all metal or do they have plywood and solid wood lining on the inside.? Is the heater way up front by the steering or closer to the dash? Is the transmission short or does it seem to have a long rear portion at the brake end? Is it 6 volt or 12V ? Is the solenoid attached to the starter and engaged from a petal to the right of the accelerator or is it mounted on the firewall and engaged by a starter button on the dash.Our local bombardier guru's know every detail of the changes as they came up year by year so hopefully we can narrow it down for you.

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 09:37:26 pm »
These guys know their stuff ^ ;D

Rackaholic, if you have any pictures of your machine and build up I'd be happy to post them for you too.

Offline rackaholic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 11:01:33 pm »
I am not very good with computers so I cant do much but type.If you go to B-Skurka post about the wikipedia and go to the bottom of the page you will see a web site go there and in the posts you will see one for a 1948r12 bombardier there are some pictures (you will see it has been modified)It does start with the pedal on the floor and has a 12 volt battery (may have been converted)I am pretty sure it has a industrial 6cly with a three speed on the tree.The defrost is right in the center of the dash by the window. It also has needle bearings  in the knucklearm in the front suspension were the steering arm assembly connects to it.The tranny question I will have to look.Just wondering if anyone would know why the ski's bow out ?

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 05:12:12 am »
rackoholic:
Email me yor mailing address and I will copy the pertinent pages from my 1951 manual and send them to you.
Clarence

Offline rackaholic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 03:53:50 pm »
I was just wondering if they still deliver the mail pony express from up there?(just kidding)We are about done with the front end rebuild just want to know how to fix the stance ???

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 08:56:58 pm »
If your machine is a 52 it likely does not have shock absorbers although many owners added their own using later models as paterns or installing the upper shock towers off a wrecked machine. If it is just a matter of tow in you can accomplish that by adjusting the tie rods on the steering so that the tow in is 1/4 inch. This is quite important for good steering. If however your front end has that splayed out look and appears abit sagged at the front that is a different matter. Often the knuckle Arm/spring seat assemblies simply twist outward. Mine were like that but I was lucky enough to have a frend with the know how and one new leg that we could use as a pattern. Using a 60 ton press we brought it back straight. Actually when new if you stand in front the ski support brackets appear canted in a bit at the bottom. Mr Shaver uses heavy square tubing in place of the round pipe when he rebuilds Knuckle Arm assemblies and they are much less likely to twist and splay out than the original. Good luck with this...

Offline rackaholic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 12:24:27 pm »
Thanks Averyman and Cranman for all the information it has helped alot.

Offline koon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 08:49:48 pm »
Very Nice!