Author Topic: WASCANA'S 48 'WOODY' REBUILD  (Read 13290 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: WASCANA'S 48 'WOODY' REBUILD
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 07:10:02 am »

All I can say is WOW !! If you do as good a job on the woody as you have done on that tractor you'll have one fine looking bomber.....

A jealous ol' trucker
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 08:24:48 am »

Here is the email he sent to me along with the pics.

Dear Old Trucker:  Thank-you for the email.  How are things in Newfoundland?  I have never been there but have always wanted to go.  I currently live in Minot, North Dakota but my home farm is near Odessa, Saskatchewan.  This is where the Bombardier is located.   I did try to upload these pictures onto the website but ran into some troubles  if you could post them for me would be great.  My father bought this Bombardier in the 50's and used it to get into town when the roads would get blocked in winter.  He used to pick up all the neighbours, charge them each a dollar for gas and spend the day in town.  I have also included a few shots of another project I just completed with my sons - restoring a 1949 Cockshutt 30 tractor.  My uncle used to be the Cockshutt dealer in Odessa and this tractor was bought from him in 1949, shortly before they got the Bombardier.  Odessa is having their 100 year homecoming this summer and I would like to have both the Bombardier and the Cockshutt in the parade - even if the Bombardier is not yet complete.  Let me know what you think!

Best regards,

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 05:54:32 am »
Nice looking B-12 machine you have there.  That one is definitely a varnished one.  You can tell by the color of the steering column.   You can take all the numbers off the data tag and send them to Guy Pepin at the Bombardier Museum and he can give you the person/dealer that bought it brand new and the town that is was sold to.-------Good luck!!

Oldsledz

Offline Wascana

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 09:29:37 pm »
Thanks Oldsledz. I will contact Guy Pepin to get some more history on this machine. I have started to remove the exterior plywood and have some pretty nice looking Baltic birch to replace it with.  I hope to be able to spend some time on this project between Christmas & New Years.  The pictures show a fatigue break in the front door framework on each side just above the windsheild.  My father did a repair by bolting a strap of flat iron along the outside of the framework many years ago.  I did talk with Cam Mclean some time ago and recall him saying this was a weak spot.  He suggested there was a better fix.  Was this an issue on your machine?  I am thinking if nothing else I will need to replace as much framework as required to secure this area up again.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wascana

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 10:06:21 am »

I hope your taking lots of pics of this rebuild Wascana. I will gladly post them for you.

The Old Trucker

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 09:26:07 am »
Happy New Year OT

Here's  a free program for manipulating pictures and it works really well. http://www.irfanview.com/.  The only thing about enlarging a small picture too much is that there is not as much information in a small picture that is required in a larger picture, so the picture gets 'grainy'.
D. Paulson

I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 10:36:45 am »

Dave I think it's the way he sent them. The other pics were OK. These 6 have a different title under them on Photo bucket. He sent a second pic of 1 of the 6 & it came out good.

A puzzled....  ??? ???  but determined OT.

Offline granpasboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 11:12:49 pm »
Wascana, I live north of Minot. I like the Cockshutt, I am sure the Woody will look great when you get it finished. Today I was running my 51 Woody along 83 in the area of Forfar. I hope you wave if you see me!

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 08:10:56 am »

Wascana it sounds like you mat not have to go very far to have a look at a woody for references. I hope you haven't given up on putting pics on here.  I had to stay in Minot for a 1 day layover once to let my log book catch up to me. We stayed at a truck stop/restaurant with a set of gas pumps out front & a nice size parking lot out back, that was on the right side of the highway (south bound). This was back about 15-16 yrs. ago. Are you close to that ??

A nosey ol' trucker

Offline Wascana

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 08:40:43 am »
Granpasboy:  Thanks for the reply.  I would like to take a look at your machine sometime.  I will be looking for you next time I head north!

Old Trucker:  Thanks again for all your help.  I resent the last pictures in a different compressed format so I am hoping they should come through OK.  Nothing is ever very far in Minot.  We have lots of snow again this year so a good time to be out there!

Wascana

Offline granpasboy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 12:43:08 pm »
I will send you a message with my contact info. I would like to here the history of your woody because it seems to be similar to the history of mine. I have pictures of mine on here under granpasboy pictures.

Offline Wascana

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 02:08:51 pm »
Hello all:  I have not made much progress this past month, but am getting ready to start to do some wood work.  I have G2S Baltic Birch plywood and am looking to find the best finish for it.  Reading the posts from Oldsledz, I undersand he used Sikkens #085 Teak finish on the interior followed up with 3 top coats of marine grade varnish. So, I have some questions for Oldsledz...I obtained a sample of this #085 Teak from Sikkens and like the way it looks.  However, I contacted customer service at Sikkens and they do not recomend using anything but 2 coats of "Cetol 23 plus" on top of the "Cetol 1 base" to allow the wood to breath.  Also, this Cetol 23 topcoat provides for more of a satin finish than a gloss finish.  They also do not reccomend using any type of stain on plywood, so I am a little skeptical of all of the information they are providing.   Please let me know how this finish has been holding up for you.

Also what did you do differently on the exterior?  Did you use a different base stain and topcoat combination or do the same?  Any info is much appreciated!!   

Offline rattleman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 06:43:11 pm »
Hi Wascana
I did 2 varnish Bomb, one with mapple and the second with birtch plywood
First I did varnich the inside side of plywood sheet with gloss latex varnish ( 3 coats) before to install the plywood on the frame
For the outside I use a hight quality exterior lacquer (6 coats)