Author Topic: KYLE"S 54 REBUILD  (Read 41575 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: KYLE"S 54 REBUILD
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2011, 07:56:45 pm »
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline viking

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 04:13:35 pm »
When are you going to grace the bomber gang with a picture of yourself? Please try not to block the view of the narrow though! ;D
Gimli, where men are men and fish are scared!

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 06:15:39 pm »

Now VIKING... I don't to get want my computer screwed up with a virus. ha ha ha

OT.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 06:50:55 pm »
clothes on ..off how do you want this picture???...lol..
                                                                                   kpm

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 07:52:37 pm »

Well KPM you owe me a new computer. Mine just went caput. That pic has done it...

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/KPM1014.jpg

me with 1958 narrow...clothes on..lol.
                                                              kpm

Offline viking

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2011, 07:07:49 pm »
KPM, Before you install the Ford, check out Steyr Diesel Motors. They have a sweet six pack just made for a narrow. Stateside and with the Can.$ would it would be a steal.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2011, 07:13:29 pm »
...it's gong to be the 300...it's just all been rebuilt,as well as transmission(c6)and 1 ton diff...I should be getting around 180hp...I personally dislike the diesel in a bombardier
                                                                                                   kpm

Offline viking

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2011, 07:32:14 pm »
I've got the same feeling about the Ford that I have, living with it  for now.

Offline cletus

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2011, 08:21:58 pm »
Kyle
What are you using for a fan on this Ford 300 engine.

We could not seem to fine just the right fan when we did our rebuild which may be causing us some problems.
Any comments on the best fan would be welcome. I wonder if any one is running a fan shroud on the narrow guage machines. The say the performance of the fan is optimized by using a shroud.

Ray

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011, 06:26:03 am »

Cletis with the original fan working right do you usually get a lot of snow build up, outside around the rad ?? I was talking to a couple of people & they sorta think with all the snow flying around there it cuts down on the performance of the rad.
  A J5 has the engine enclosed & has a fan that blows air out through the rad. I wonder if that would work here ??  Wouldn't that keep the engine temp down & help any?? Just a thought...

OT.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2011, 08:59:04 am »
Ray
       i'm using a 5 blade flex blade fan,use of a shroud does optimze cooling...
                                                                                                     kyle

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 11:32:45 am »
Ray
The 6 core rads we talked about would fit right in and the extra thickness is not toward the fan, but to the rear which might be a problem with the 300 set up.

Offline viking

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2011, 06:13:36 pm »
Cletus, Find flex-a-lite.com, look for the 4600 series fan/20" to 24". Lots of pitch and comes with multiple bolt patterns. I'm using this model on my 300ci ford six, works well. An option to consider. Interlake Auto (Bruce) in Arborg, Mb. did the leg work for me. Good luck. D.O.

Offline cletus

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2011, 07:32:05 am »
Viking

Thanks for the lead on the fan.
I looked up the Flex-a-lite Model you indicated and it looks like something one should use. Do you use any kind of shroud on your machine. Cranman pointed out that we should look at going to a 6 core radiator. Once we pull our failed engine it will give us a chance to measure things up to fit in these 2 items.
Thank you for the help.

Ray

Offline viking

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2011, 08:59:30 am »
Cletus,  I use a six core rad without the shroud, I think it would make a big difference to include it. KPM might have more experience though.   
A nifty cooling retrofit at home here has a marine background. The keel cooler concept under boats has been copied on a Narrow Gauge with the 300ci Ford Six.   
With the original radiator in place, a splice was created and 3/16's boxed steel used. With a return loop, it is mounted underneath along the drivers side with cooling fins attached.
The 13 litre capacity became 28 litres and runs a 195 thermostat.  Works sweet!   There are probably many applications to the idea, adding coolant capacity under load is the ticket every time. 
This unit is away currently at work and will be nearby this March.  I can provide a phone # if you like and will post pictures when it returns.

David