Author Topic: 51 R18 Rebuild  (Read 43323 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: 51 R18 Rebuild
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2011, 02:21:25 pm »

Dave, the seal that you have at the ends of the axle, held together by 4 bolts, would it be called flange seal ? I have to get new ones for mine. Is the flange part of the seal when you buy it or do you reuse the flange ?? Take it easy on me...I'm still learning....

OT.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2011, 06:56:52 pm »
OT, there isn't a flange on those seals.  They look like a regular seal, a bit thicker  with a sealing ring on the exterior also.  The pinion seal has a flange on it though.
D. Paulson

I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2011, 06:26:43 pm »
I was going to get back at it in a couple of days, but it turned into a couple months. :o
I have the diff installed, new adapters for the sprockets and driveshaft installed.  When I pulled the driveshaft out of the tranny, of course some tranny fluid comes out.  It didn't smell and the tranny still shifts good, but the oil took on a brownish red look.  I suppose discloured from heat.  I should look for a  bigger cooler and flush and reinstall new oil.
D. Paulson

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2011, 09:15:03 pm »

Dave how about if you took off the cover, drained everything out, changed the filter & installed new oil.. On mine it was the first time it was ever changed & it's a 1984 model... Just my .02 cents worth.... OT.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2011, 09:48:10 pm »
OT, I changed filters and new oil in it last winter when I changed the input shaft seal.  I have already located a cooler about twice as big as what currently on it.  Also I am going to install a temp sender  into the tranny with a guage on the dash.  Just to keep an eye on things.

D. Paulson

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2018, 07:45:23 pm »
Forward to 2018.  When I installed the ford diff, i put in a ARB air locker and changed gearing to 4.86 from the original 4.11.  Since then I installed a new 318 engine with 4bbl carb and a cam.  I goes good now.  1st gear performs like a bull low with the 4.86 gears.  I have purchase and yet to install a rebuilt A518 transmission.  Similar to the 727, but with a lock up torque and overdrive gear.  The overdrive and lockup torque are controlled by 12v power so, I will probably just install a just toggle switch to activate them. 
D. Paulson