Author Topic: KYLE"S 54 REBUILD  (Read 40688 times)

Offline kpm

• View Profile
Re: KYLE"S 54 REBUILD
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 01:22:36 pm »
well she looked good from far,but was far from good!!..lol.
  knda sorta was juz going to put on bumpers,as this narrow ran great..as can be seen though the previous owner(a fisherman)..used tools at hand chisel,old lic plates ect..lol. to make it go..it does have a rear end that i did fall in luv with though..lol..so thats a good start!!
  ...I have an overlord on this project....and he has forgotten more about bombardiers than i'll probally ever know....this bombardier will have him to thank in the end for the rework,as he is a wizard at his craft!!....and to be brutally honest..I would have put on the bumpers and being playing in the snow!!
       will try to keep posting pics as progress continues.
                                                                                    kpm

Offline viking

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 02:39:06 pm »
Sure glad this secret is out, now for the fun!
Gimli, where men are men and fish are scared!

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 03:47:58 pm »
lol..and for the record viking,I'm not trying to be  mean to the fisherman...as u seen in the picture he was pretty handing with tha chisel on that finishing work above the diff axcel..!!
                                                                                                          kpm
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 04:34:09 pm by kpm »

Offline viking

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 05:05:34 pm »
Before you reinstall that antique plywood, check out this site. "allnoisecontrol.com" (many others to). Some slick ideas for cabin noise control before the velour interior/dingle balls finish it off. Keep the picnic basket out front and attach a marine BBQ for the Cranberry Portage Rally!   

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 07:08:47 pm »
hmm I sure won't need that bbq at the rally...they feed u really well there!!!..
  .... got a fair bit done again today,will send ot some pics to post tommorow.
eveything is getting reworked from front to back....and I mean everything..lol...it's starting to add up!!
                                                             kpm

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 06:07:06 pm »

By the looks of things you have lots of room to move around & do repairs comfortably. KPM how's the motor/trans... are you using it again ?? Your making improvements to her. Keep it up.

The Old Trucker   
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 06:36:54 pm »
It's nice to those 'hammer and chisel' holes getting cleaned up.  The fellow that put the radio in mine looked like he used a hammer and nails for the speaker grill, and a can opener to make the hole for the radio.
D. Paulson

I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 09:37:13 pm »
well first off,thats Gary putting in a new heater motor(HE'S THE WIZARD)....yes even though when I bought it the motor,tranny diff,all were fine..Gary wants to rebuild them,so we will,...he does not cut corners,and I like his style,and ot ur right there's a lot of room in his shop....we will be taking a break as I have an operation coming up...which will give me time to buy some of the new things we need...Dave some of the people seemed to use what ever they had...this narrow had truck springs jury rigged in...not to mention the license plates again...lol..
  every piece going in from the front to back will be new or rebuilt!!!
                                                 kpm

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 05:47:37 am »
.this narrow had truck springs jury rigged in...not to mention the license plates again...lol..
  every piece going in from the front to back will be new or rebuilt!!!
                                                 kpm

TRUCK SPRINGS ?? In a narrow.... Any pics of it ???     
                                                                                    HUH ??... says OT. 
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 05:12:08 pm »
ot
    in the first pic u can see part of the spring,it was set same as bombardier spring..except bolted in on the bottom,truck spring as in coil,not leaf.
                                       kpm

Offline viking

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 05:41:39 am »
Will you install a plastic belly pan? Tremendous improvement skating through slush.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 10:12:07 am »
...that's food for thought ,what do you suggest Dave??
                                                                             kpm

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 12:44:03 pm »
It sounds like a logical idea.  Maybe a light 1/8" or so pop riveted underneath to the steel pan would be beneficial.  I have yet to find out a bombardier limitations, let alone even driving in slush, but I'm sure this spring I'll get my chance.
D. Paulson

I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken