Author Topic: Kick down on auto transmission.  (Read 8018 times)

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
Kick down on auto transmission.
« on: October 28, 2010, 06:19:08 pm »
I purchased my bomber with 318 motor and auto transmission already been installed.  The installer removed the kickdown linkage from the carb to transmission and tied the kickdown lever on the transmission to not move so it consequently shifts at a higher rpm.  Is that desireable, or was it done just to ease in instalation?  I can purchase a cable to reconnect back up, or should I just leave it alone?
D. Paulson

I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken

Offline kpm

• View Profile
Re: Kick down on auto transmission.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 03:49:58 pm »
hmm..I can only share with you that all automatics I HAVE OWNED..EVEN FROM FACTORY...do no have a kick down rod..attached...
                         kpm                       

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 04:58:52 pm »
Well. there must be a good reason for it then.  I best just leave it alone.  Thanks
D. Paulson

Offline Muskeg Runer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 10:42:50 am »
Hi the kick down in a auto transmission is a passing gear it goes from 3 to 2. The kick down shoud be unhooked and the lever on transmisson needs to be tied all the way to the front "engine" side of the transmission. If the transmission still shifts up and down you have transmission problems. You do not need the passing gear we have 4 bugs 2 with 727 transmissions and 2 with c6 never had a problem with them in 25 years.

Offline sandybay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 04:30:36 pm »
My 318/727 tranny kickdown was tied when I got it and you had to rev the crap out of it to get to shift so I unhooked it and it shifts nice and smooth a low rpm's and if I need it to rev higher I can still manually shift. This was about 8 years ago and have not ever had a problem.

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 05:23:10 pm »
Sandybay, that is how mine is.  Well, how does the kick down actually work?  If the kickdown was midway, would it shift at a moderate rev then?  The kickdown cables are not that expensive. about 70.00.  Now I'm thinking it might be alright to put on.
D. Paulson

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 07:20:08 pm »

For some reason or other I think that kick down rod should be hooked up properly. I will check with a friend of mine that told me to hook up mine. I think he said something about it won't shift properly if unhooked.
                                                                                     OT's wondering again....

after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 09:00:08 pm »
When I first started to participate posting in these forms I often wondered why the vetrans(whom usually all own a number or more than 1 bombardier) NEVER partake or answer anyones questions...i'm now begining to understand why.
                                         kpm

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 06:51:04 am »
Sandybay, that is how mine is.  Well, how does the kick down actually work?  If the kickdown was midway, would it shift at a moderate rev then?  The kickdown cables are not that expensive. about 70.00.  Now I'm thinking it might be alright to put on.

Dpaulson;
My friend that worked with transmissions for 30 yrs. told me that on the old 727 trans (hooked up right)   they usually start off at 30 lb. pressure & increase in pressure (89-90) with more gas peddle being applied. If unhooked, it will stay at 30 psi. When you climb a hill it will stay @ 30 psi.putting more strain on the clutches.

after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline sandybay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 06:55:40 am »
I just let my kickdown lever alone not tied to anything. It is basically there so when you step on the gas pedal hard it shifts the tranny into a lower gear for better exceleration. When I changed my narrow gauge over to a chev straight 6 cyl./2speed auto I left the kickdown linkage installed and it works just like in a car. But my 318/727 wide never had one when I bought it so I just unhooked it.

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 08:01:29 am »
OT, that makes sense now.  Rollin resistance in the snow is a lot higher than a car on a flat surface.  It is probably best to leave tied toward the engine and put up with the hard shifting.
D. Paulson

Offline Muskeg Runer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 11:53:56 am »
Hi we have been tying the kick down forword for years yes they have a crisp shift but if you hook it up and do not have it set up right it will burn up your transmission.Do you need a passing gear in a bug. I drive my automatic like a manual i start in 1 then 2 will stay in that gear unless on a good hard trail then i will go to 3 . In 2 gear at 2500 rpm i will be going about 20 mph.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 10:04:23 pm »
I don't have a 313 or 318/727 but was talking to Ted Playford today and he has 3. He has never seen one from the factory with the kickdown linkage. Bombardiers came out that way and they seem to be fine. I notice one of his shifts at a bit higher rpm but still not terrible. I suppose bombardier was mating up the engines they had in stock (318's by then) to the heavy 727's with the brake on them. and likely would have had to go to a lot of problems to set up the linkage, so they just locked them ahead. As someone pointed out here, this application is different from a car or truck on the highway so likely wasn't needed anyway. Appears old man bombardier was right again. On the other hand if I was installing a motor/trans out of a car or truck, I'd leave it on. Ted says not to leave them loose,especially on the fords as they will lug and not gear down.  If locked down they seem to work also.