Author Topic: hydraulic drum breaks on each sprocket  (Read 5053 times)

Offline fisher

• View Profile
hydraulic drum breaks on each sprocket
« on: August 18, 2010, 11:00:57 pm »
Saw a old bomber with break hubs and breaks on each side. Sprockets bolt on same as rear wheels on my truck. Two hand levers one on each side of the drivers seat in an old wide woodie that needs alot of wood & mechanical. Was a post office delivery once upon a time. Could I get any more info? Heard there was only 6 of them made like that. Know for sure it's the only wide gage I've seen with the front breaks. Still has the original breaks on the tranny. Flat head 6 with standard.   

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
Re: hydraulic drum breaks on each sprocket
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 10:24:54 pm »
My 1951 operators manual lists hydraulic turning brakes as an option on the wide gauge only.  No other info but that option sure would come in handy at times...like trying to manuever on a concrete floor.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 04:51:42 pm »

Here is a narrow gauge bought down here this spring. It has the brakes on the axles. I don't know if it is stock or not.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/Snowmobile2-1.jpg
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 08:46:34 am »
they are a rare find indeed!....the one you looked at is actually very solid.....it was stored inside until a tree fell on the garage crushing the roof...and ceiling  of the woodie......the motor is brand new factory flat head ..o miles.....the new owner..has revamped the undercarriage with all new bushings seals bearings,and boogie springs,,,new tires also...he is very talanted mechanically...so when the carpenter gets finished with the wood work.....i'm sure it will be just a matter of time before this historic machine is up and running...
 it was a shame the previous owners kept stripping the old wooden to keep there other wides operational....though understandable when your running a fishing business.
                                                                                                          kpm

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 09:01:05 am »
well I  was allowed to fire up the old postal delivery,and must say I was very impressed with the more or less finished project(just a few little cosmetics left)...it sure sounds real good!!...I even run it a few feet in both directions on the driveway...
  Another vintage machine brought back to life!!!!!....congrats to you...again...Pete.
                                                                                                                        kpm