Author Topic: Voltage Regulator!  (Read 4331 times)

Offline FORD F-150

• View Profile
Voltage Regulator!
« on: August 02, 2010, 08:22:13 pm »
Hi i have a 1973 wide gauge bomber with a industrial 318 auto tranny. i have blown my voltage regulator, i wonder where i can one or get a different system to eliminate the voltage regulator system??? i am from up north, place called Rankin Inlet Nunavut

thx guys FORD F-150

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: Voltage Regulator!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 03:08:13 pm »

I have a GM alternator on my 300 Ford. It has the voltage regulator built in. All is required is a little fabricating for the bracket.

OT.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
Re: Voltage Regulator!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 07:58:53 pm »
If the alternator is OK you should be able to get a replacement regulator from an auto part store. If you go to a GM Delco there's  a few things to consider . Dual pulleys are ideal but I doubt you can use your chrco pulleys. Delco single wire alternators are popular on bush equipment and race cars for the simpicity. I'm running one in my 265 Chry Ind. that has a self energizing regulator installed. I ran a #10 wire over to my solenoid and put a Voltage Guage on my dash to replace the AMP guage. As long as I have 13.8 volts I know I am OK. No need for the other wiring and I guess that is a bonus when you are out on the tundra..On the GM's they ran the #1 field wire to the idiot light on the dash and then on to the cold side of the ignition switch. On my 4x4 suzuki truck I put in a bulb with 10 ohms res and it seems to be working ok, like it would on a GM.  I turn the key on it lights up and as the motor starts, the regulator cuts in and drops off the power to the light on the dash.The #2 sensing wire then goes to the battery or in my case I put a short jumper to the main terminal.