Author Topic: Tires  (Read 12977 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Tires
« on: July 20, 2010, 08:08:33 pm »

I was wondering what everyone is using for tires. When they wear or rot out what are you replacing them with ?? I got a few used motorcycle tires today & put them on four of my rims so they can carry the weight better & it can be moved around easily. I found that they fit pretty good, even though it's only temporary for now.
                                                                                                OT.'s rolling around again...
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
Re: Tires
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 09:29:58 am »
GoodYear 450-16 C 6 ply. I paid $112. plus $4.50 tire tax and $10 for tubes at Flin Flon tire shop last November. Should be a little cheaper at Good Year in bigger centres.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 01:15:32 pm »

Well Cranman, it sounds like your one lucky man !! I was talking to Flin Flon Tire & Alexanders Auto Ranch & they say they don't stock them now & can't get them any more. Guess I'll have to keep looking. Cranman do you have a pic of the tire design ??
  I found out that there is a motorcycle tire ( 110 x 90 x 16", 4 ply ) that is supposed to be pretty close to the same size as the original. They sell for $75.00 each. Tubes are $12.00 each. The original tire is only 4 ply. Would these be OK ??

OT.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 03:43:07 pm »
OT
     people have used ,motorcycle tires even doughnut tires(the narrow 16''tires) that come as spares in the newer  cars....the thing is they maybe ok in the middle for awhile...i'm sure though you would want the 450.16 6 plys on the front and for sure the back...Dan Shaver has theses.
                                                                                                           kpm

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 05:22:54 pm »

KPM are you talking about the same tire ( smooth, no tread) that is used on the J5 ??

OT.

Offline MRT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 01:28:50 pm »
KAL TIRE IN SWAN RIVER GOT SOME 4.50/16 TIRES FOR ME FOR $107.00 3 WEEKS AGO

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 06:24:43 pm »
  Hey.. MRT can you get a pic of the tread design & what brand it is ?? I Called a Goodyear dealer down here today & he told me what they have is what they called a smooth snowmobile tire size 4.50 x 16", 6 ply @ $ 193.56 plus taxes. That's $700 bucks extra here on a set... Looks like I'll have to move out west to finish the old bomber !!

Looks like OT'S gettin rolled around here...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 06:28:43 pm by the old trucker »

Offline MRT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 07:22:52 pm »
the tires are 4.50/16 6ply goodyear plaintread, the other tire shop in town quoted me $193 also

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 09:05:59 am »
OT
      i run the 450.16 6 plys on mine smooth,last time pd about 118 a tire i think...though the doughnut tires have tread design they are cheap have seen them on bombardiers and they work in a pinch i suppose...saying that they would be my last resort and as i've stated before i would not run them on the back or front!!
                                                  kpm

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 06:55:21 am »
OT
      i run the 450.16 6 plys on mine smooth,last time pd about 118 a tire i think...though the doughnut tires have tread design they are cheap have seen them on bombardiers and they work in a pinch i suppose...saying that they would be my last resort and as i've stated before i would not run them on the back or front!!
                                                  kpm

Kpm on the original tires that I have seen it states that the tire is 4 ply. It seems like they stood up fairly well. I would like to have the smooth tires for mine but @ $200 bucks a piece, that's more than double the cost of a 4 ply.

OT.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 08:14:42 am »
you still see some of the old 4ply on machines,sure they worked...the 6ply smooth is a much better tire.
   if you want to save money buy the 16in donut tires from a auto wrecker should be about 20 dollars a peice....here we go into some VERY remote wilderness area's....miles from everything and everyone....the last thing you want is tire trouble when it's -45....the old saying holds true you get what you pay for!!
                                                           kpm

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 07:43:42 am »
The origional tires on my 51 are B F Goodrich 4 ply IMPLEMENT tires.  That may explain the difference in price some of you are experiencing. Implement tires are generally cheaper than automobile tires and the 45mph rating should be sufficient for most machines, certainley for mine... CBD

Offline orin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 06:33:35 am »
Went looking for tires yesterday and it seems that only one company makes them now, the reason for the price doubling in the last 3 years. (4.50X16 six ply) So around $200.00 is going to be the norm unless old stock can be found i was told. So I think maybe motorcycle tires might be the way to go. Was just checking online and can get six ply motorcycle tires for $63.95 at Wheelsport canada in b.c.

Offline sandybay

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 10:16:57 am »
Some of the outfitters around here have had hubs made for the axle and now use the doughnut spares from the wreckers, rim and all.

Offline viking

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 10:42:49 am »
a picture of that retrofit would be excellent
Gimli, where men are men and fish are scared!