Author Topic: 51 R18 Rebuild  (Read 43351 times)

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
Re: 51 R18 Rebuild
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2010, 09:36:20 am »
The steering column was shortened and a keyway cut to accept a universal joint.  The pump has 2 ports, the pressure and return to tank.  This is connected to the 'hand pump'  with hoses going to the 2 ports nearest where the shaft goes out.  The other 2 ports on the hand pump are connected to the steering cylinders.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 06:46:37 am by dpaulson »
D. Paulson

I thought that I was wrong once, but I was mistaken

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2010, 10:33:45 am »
    Thanks alot. I was thinking something along them lines, but wasn't too sure. Must have been a sale on maroon paint. Looks like you have everything covered, which is good. 8) 8) ;D  All I need now is a bit of glue to stick my hair back in place!!!!!  

A Blushing OT.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2010, 11:04:46 am »

OT here.... thinking again. What would happen if you were to chafe a hose & lost your fluid ?? Would you still have any steering capabilities left ?? I mean there's no mechanical link there to the skis... is there ??

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2010, 11:48:09 am »
No, you would be hooped.  The hose is fairly thick with 2 ply steel braid.  It would take more then 1 year usage to wear a hole in a hose.  I suppose an annual inspection *should* alleviate any problems in that area.
D. Paulson

Offline marcdds

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2010, 02:45:40 pm »
hi guys nice job i just bought a nother snow it has power sterring il send some pictures when i figure out how to do this .if any of u has original gauges sterring wheels or even the plymouth center piece ill buy some if u want  keep up the nice work u are keeping ARMAND BOMBARDIER  dream alive.i forgot even door  handels are ok to

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2010, 04:29:42 pm »

I thank you for the update on this matter Mr. Paulson. I am never too old to learn something new & I have learned alot since coming here.

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2010, 01:35:37 pm »
Since I used bucket seats from a 4 door truck which do not fold ahead to ease entry to the back, I mad a little hideaway step to help passengers.  It will be built into the seat when I get to that part.

Some pic of the headliner installation. 

I used the holes that were for the previous headliner.  They were not factory holes as it looked like the guy used a hammer and a punch.  I used stainless screws to screw the 3/4 x 1-1/2 oak strips on.  I used 1/4 G1S fir plywood that I covered with headliner material and screwed up to the oak strips.  I'm happy with the way it turned out.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 06:48:20 am by dpaulson »
D. Paulson

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2010, 01:43:49 pm »

Looks great so far, what kind of material did you use for headliner ??                OT.

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2010, 02:07:10 pm »
It's a vinyl of some type.  I purchased it off the internet from a company in  the US.  It was under automotive headliner section.
D. Paulson

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2010, 04:54:23 am »

In the second last pic showing your upholstery, I noticed your dash looked like it is done. Any pics of it ? Mike (57 rebuild) will soon be at his & wanted to see a few different styles.

OT.

Offline Swamp Dawg

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2010, 06:03:51 am »
Some excellent work going on there.  Keep it up and the pictures coming.  I like the flip down step idea, never seen anything like it.

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2010, 12:21:02 pm »

In the second last pic showing your upholstery, I noticed your dash looked like it is done. Any pics of it ? Mike (57 rebuild) will soon be at his & wanted to see a few different styles.

OT.
Here ya go,

I think that I made 3 others also before I settled on  this.  That's one thing about a CNC plasma, it doesn't take much time to cut something out.  Also, it doesn't take much time to waste a sheet either.  :'(

« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 06:49:36 am by dpaulson »
D. Paulson

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2010, 12:23:23 pm »
Some excellent work going on there.  Keep it up and the pictures coming.  I like the flip down step idea, never seen anything like it.

Thanks Swamp Dawg,  I've never seen a step like that either :D
D. Paulson

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2010, 12:53:36 pm »

Nice dash Dave. The two knobs above the three rocker switches, are they what I call knob switches ? They turn on/off or pull/push instead of up & down like a toggle ? Where did you get them ? I think they look right at home on these old bombers. I think Gror has a couple of nice looking ones on his too...

ol' trucker

Offline dpaulson

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Wadena Steel
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2010, 01:01:56 pm »
I got those switches from Princess Auto. They are a rotary 3 speed  fan switch.  I have a heater up front for defrost/ foot heater, and one in the rear for cabin heat.  There were about 10.00 each.
D. Paulson