Author Topic: sprockets and cleat spacing  (Read 17917 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: sprockets and cleat spacing
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2011, 06:00:34 pm »
The track belts look to be about 5 1/2 to 3/4 wide and about .55in thick.x270in long.  When I get serious about talking to belt builders, I will need exact specs for them, or at least good enough measures.  Maybe they will even punch holes.  $700 per belt newat Bombardier!  Maybe belt guys can make a 24in for $700 and cut it into strips.  The sprocket cover came from the local hardware.  It is not quite 1/2in.

I hope to buy some belting shortly. It is supposed to be 4 ply. They sell it @ $2.00 per ft. If I bought 25 ft. would that be long enough ?? At 48" wide I should have enough to make belts for myself & Mike.
   Is the spacing for the holes @ 3 3/4" center ?? Cranmam would 3 ply belting @ 3" wide be good for the sprockets ?? The proper joiners are $25 for 5..

OT
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2011, 09:40:59 am »
25 feet is lots for length. That is sure cheap...2$ a foot for 48 inch. I had 24 inch with factory edges so I used a scribe to mark off 5 and a half inches off each side and I used these as my outside belts with the factory sides out. Then I marked of 5 and a half from what remained on each side and cut my other two. I used an ordinary Olfa kife. I made a nice straight shallow cut right on the line, then put a board under the bigger part, inside the line so the cut piece is falling away from the cut and not binding. Olfa makes a knife with an offset blade that no doubt would be easier to use,but I couldn't find one when I needed it. Some guys go 6 inches but it is too tight on the woodies. Your numbers seem right to me.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2011, 12:38:30 pm »

I got it... Picked up a piece of belting 40' long by 4' wide for $40 bucks. It's 3 ply. He called it 600 P.I.W. He said I haven't got a worry about breaking it. It's used to move limestone from land to the ships. They buy it in 500' rolls.   

Offline 48bomber

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2011, 07:33:33 pm »
Hey all!
  Fall is comming , and the change in temp at night is noticeable the last week!
 There is a big difference in belting  ,and not just the number of ply's. The conveyor belting is made to streach and be flexable when agregate is loaded on them . This flexing keeps the belts from breaking.
  Several times conveyor belting has been cut,dilled for groomer tracks  , and always ends up a problem. The tension cant be kept consistant , and they end up to tight, to loose and come off.  In the end the money is spent on the proper track belting , and almost never have the tension issue.
   Good belting is worth the money when they last so long.
     48 bomber

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2011, 09:38:35 pm »
   I was told this stuff is already stretched out. I don't know if it makes a difference or not. A friend uses it on his J5's all the time with no trouble. How is the proper track belt made ??

??? OT.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:47:56 pm by the old trucker »