Author Topic: sprockets and cleat spacing  (Read 17933 times)

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
Re: sprockets and cleat spacing
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 07:30:00 pm »

Sandaybay..... my son you got me scratching my head. The only sense I can get outta this is that if I drilled holes in the template @ a certain distance apart that should be what I need to drill in the track. So is that space between the holes the PITCH ?? I have 11 teeth on my sprocket. OH well.... back to school to learn something new...

A bewildered OT.
after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline sandybay

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 08:42:48 pm »
Pitch diameter is a term used to take measurements of the diameter of a gear or a screw using pitch points. Pitch points on a gear could be found if a straight line were drawn up from two of the gear's teeth located side by side and the two lines were connected by a curve. In the case of a gear or sprocket, pitch basically measures the distance between teeth.

any better?

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 07:25:09 am »
Around here everybody orders strips of rubber from places like Canadian Bearings cut to width and about 6 cleat lengths longer then needed, drill out the holes with drill & template shown with some dish soap. Then overlap them when bolting back together. cost about $200.00 per 2 pieces last time I did it.

If you overlapped the track which people down here have done, they say you will have a thump every time the track turns around. I can buy the proper joiners & track material here. I have a set of plug hole cutters. All I need to know is how far to space the holes so I can make up a jig to keep it all in line.........I think ??? ??? 
                                                                                                              OT.

Offline sandybay

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 09:20:25 am »
Mine are spaced 3.750" apart in length, best way to check is to measure the distance between 10 cleats divide by 10 measure 15, divide by 15 and so on. Should all be the same answer.

Offline sandybay

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 09:23:34 am »
I have heard that if you over lap that would happen. But my c18 has both sides like that and does not seem to. But the joiner that you have sounds good.

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 09:45:38 am »
Mine are spaced 3.750" apart in length, best way to check is to measure the distance between 10 cleats divide by 10 measure 15, divide by 15 and so on. Should all be the same answer.

Below is a pic of one of my sprockets.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m366/theoldtrucker/DSCF0319.jpg

That sounds alot easier. I guess this is the normal spacing for all these bombers. I can check out ( Mike's 57 rebuild ) as I don't have an old track to go by. Thanks teacher.....OT. appreciates the school-in' lessons.  8) ::) ;D 

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2010, 06:22:32 pm »
Cleat spacing on my origional belts was 3.75 in. center to center which is the same as Dan Shavers replacement belts. (1951 woodie) 

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 06:51:48 pm »

Thanks Averyman. I measured Mike's today & it was the same as yours. It's making more sense to me now. 
                                                      OT.

Offline orin

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 08:23:05 pm »
If belts or over lapped, they have to be put on the right way so they don't thump. The best way i can describe it is, with the splice on the top of the tires, the belt end pointing towards the front of the bomber has to be on top and the end pointing to the back has to be on the bottom.  :-\

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 08:14:44 am »

I guess it would be OK to overlap the belts if you don't have access to the joiners. I think the cost of joiners here are $ 20-25 bucks for a pack of 5.
   What is the cost for 1 belt, punched & ready for the track ??

OT.... gettin on track...

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 01:05:59 pm »
320 bucks
               kpm

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 07:44:18 am »

KPM.... is that for one piece ??  You multiply that by 4 for a total of $1,280 bucks... ??? :o

Offline orin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 09:41:15 pm »
Got new complete tracks last year (belts and cleats) close to $4200.00, not cheap.

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 10:52:40 pm »
$320 per belt is about right, if you are using your old cleats add another $100 for new bolts  and self locking nuts to complete the whole job. We sandblasted the backing plates and the part of the cleat that contacts the belt and primed them try and protect them from rust. (Likely not worth the considerable effort)....

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2010, 03:06:27 pm »

Thanks Averyman. My cleats look to be in great shape. I am thinking about getting a sand blaster big enough to clean a rim & do my cleats & backing plates. People tell me that POR 15 is supposed good for that kind of application.
                                                                        OT.