Author Topic: sprockets and cleat spacing  (Read 17897 times)

Offline homebrew

• View Profile
sprockets and cleat spacing
« on: January 26, 2010, 10:21:02 am »
Does anyone know what the pitch and cleat spacing should be on bomber tracks?  we are having a bit of trouble with cleats catching on the sprocket and snapping.

Our drives were rerubberized before we got the machine and we don't know if there is too much rubber on them or not enough or what.

If anyone has a close up picture of their drives or dimensions of the drives, it would help alot.

Offline orin

• View Profile
Re: sprockets and cleat spacing
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 05:33:52 pm »
Are you tracks tight enough? One of the main reasons for cleats breaking is the tracks are too loose and they wrap in the sprocket when you start moving.

Offline fisher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 12:32:44 pm »
Are they new heavy cleats?
There is more than one thickness of cleat and if they get wore flat atall they weaken fast.

Offline BIGDAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 07:42:31 pm »
One thing I will find out, I cut the sprocket covering 3 inches wide.  Maybe should be a little narrower?  BIGDAVE

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 09:23:47 pm »
The linings on my sprockets are 2 3/4 inches wide and the cleats are  spaced at 3 3/4 inches (center to center) on the belts. I agree that running the tracks too loose could cause broken cleats and of course once the cleats are worn down in the center they lose most of their strength too...  Hard to get a good reading on the thickness of the sprocket lining but mine look to be made out of the tread of a  car tire and about 3/8 in thick. They are the origional linings.  1951 narrow woodie.

Offline Cranman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 11:41:13 pm »
Mine are about 3 inches and made from a Bias Ply Tire. I see most people now using 3 inch belting like the track belts for lagging. Just as well as I don't think you can find bias tires any more and steel belted radials wouldn't work. Mine have been on a long time but look good yet. Early 1953 metal with Aluminum sprockets.

Offline BIGDAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 08:46:54 pm »
The track belts look to be about 5 1/2 to 3/4 wide and about .55in thick.x270in long.  When I get serious about talking to belt builders, I will need exact specs for them, or at least good enough measures.  Maybe they will even punch holes.  $700 per belt newat Bombardier!  Maybe belt guys can make a 24in for $700 and cut it into strips.  The sprocket cover came from the local hardware.  It is not quite 1/2in.

Offline oldsledz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 05:44:18 am »
Big Dave,

Check with Dan at Shavers.  He has them all cut and pre-punched.  Not sure of the cost,  but I was told that he has them.

Oldsledz

Offline BIGDAVE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 08:08:24 am »
Now that sounds like a good job for Jeff in his spare time, besides, I don't speak French.  I can't even oreder a beer in French.  Molson? LaBatts?  Beer, eh? please

Offline LT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 08:47:27 pm »
instead of using bias ply tires to affix to the sprockets, I went to a JD dealer and picked up some jd round baler belting.   very durable and easy to work with.

Offline kpm

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 09:57:39 pm »
dan shavers i don't believe is french..lol..if he is he never once spoke french to me.He's a great person to talk to and quite fair,i'm not certain but beliveve his belts are 640 a side pre punched..that's 4 belts 3 ply all u need for rubber for the complete bombardier.
  prices may have changed,and 4ply are more expensive
                                                                                    kpm

Offline Averyman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 07:17:33 pm »
I installed Dan's pre-punched belts on my machine and they work very well...  not french either...

Offline the old trucker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 03:15:09 pm »

Does anyone know what the pitch and cleat spacing should be on bomber tracks?  we are having a bit of trouble with cleats catching on the sprocket and snapping.

Our drives were rerubberized before we got the machine and we don't know if there is too much rubber on them or not enough or what.

If anyone has a close up picture of their drives or dimensions of the drives, it would help alot.

Can someone tell me what the word "PITCH" means, what mine should be & how far apart my cleats should be ?? I was talking to a company in Ontario that sells the material, but they need to know what the pitch is. I think there are 72 cleats on each track... am I right ??
                                                                                                         OT's getting on track....

after covering a few acres of prime real estate.

Offline sandybay

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 06:12:05 pm »
Around here everybody orders strips of rubber from places like Canadian Bearings cut to width and about 6 cleat lengths longer then needed, drill out the holes with drill & template shown with some dish soap. Then overlap them when bolting back together. cost about $200.00 per 2 pieces last time I did it.

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a477/sandybay/HPIM0927.jpg
http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a477/sandybay/HPIM0929.jpg

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a477/sandybay/HPIM0928.jpg

Offline sandybay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 06:54:01 pm »

Can someone tell me what the word "PITCH" means, what mine should be & how far apart my cleats should be ?? I was talking to a company in Ontario that sells the material, but they need to know what the pitch is. I think there are 72 cleats on each track... am I right ??
                                                                                                         OT's getting on track....

Here as link to measure gear pitch's.
Hope it helps and keeps you on the right track  :D ;D

http://www.fi.edu/time/Journey/Time/Lessons/printgeomgears.html