Performance Forums > Drivetrain

sprockets and cleat spacing

(1/7) > >>

homebrew:
Does anyone know what the pitch and cleat spacing should be on bomber tracks?  we are having a bit of trouble with cleats catching on the sprocket and snapping.

Our drives were rerubberized before we got the machine and we don't know if there is too much rubber on them or not enough or what.

If anyone has a close up picture of their drives or dimensions of the drives, it would help alot.

orin:
Are you tracks tight enough? One of the main reasons for cleats breaking is the tracks are too loose and they wrap in the sprocket when you start moving.

fisher:
Are they new heavy cleats?
There is more than one thickness of cleat and if they get wore flat atall they weaken fast.

BIGDAVE:
One thing I will find out, I cut the sprocket covering 3 inches wide.  Maybe should be a little narrower?  BIGDAVE

Averyman:
The linings on my sprockets are 2 3/4 inches wide and the cleats are  spaced at 3 3/4 inches (center to center) on the belts. I agree that running the tracks too loose could cause broken cleats and of course once the cleats are worn down in the center they lose most of their strength too...  Hard to get a good reading on the thickness of the sprocket lining but mine look to be made out of the tread of a  car tire and about 3/8 in thick. They are the origional linings.  1951 narrow woodie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version